Chapter 13- Write or Wrong

The first few words are shaky. Besides signing the papers a few days ago, I haven't written in years. Virtually everything is done digitally now. It's a miracle that paper even exists- its production was stopped ages ago due to a declining supply of resources.

At first I'm not really sure where to begin. I know that I want to expose what time travel really does, but I don't know how.

After some deliberation, I choose the words I want. Once I've got the beginning, the rest of the story flows fairly easily. It's almost as if it was waiting to be told.

I outline everything- from my first day through the shock I felt when no one believed me.

The minutes fly by, soon turning into hours. I realize that I don't have much time left and put the journal down in a hurry. Time travel has probably destroyed at least five of the universes by now. I shoot up out of my chair and race to the door, only to remember that I can't leave my name on the writings. If they're found, well, the results wouldn't be happy.

I grab the papers, edit the beginning, and stuff them into my pocket, capping the pen as I dash to the lobby.

The Secret had told me what to do, and though I'm extremely reluctant to follow it, it's my best- and only- option at the moment.

I spot a young, blonde kid hunched over a computer screen, staring intently at the words scrolling across it. My hand hovers over the papers stuffed into my clothing. I could hand them to him and hope he distributes them amongst the rest of the Gifted.

Or I can hack into the TKA's computer system and be certain that thousands of people will read it. Sounds like a plan.

It's not like the Gifted will believe me anyways. Then again, the TKA workers will probably believe me even less. Either way, I'm working purely off of guesses. Mirrors and smoke. If the TKA will spread the word more, then the TKA it is.

Well, that was easy. If only what I'm about to do could be so easy too.

I finger the pistol I picked up when I returned. This is going to be dangerous. But danger is my middle name.

Actually, it's James, but still.

I walk out of the door as confidently as I can. There's nothing to explain to Bil or Vanessa, since they won't believe me. Their help would have been immensely useful, but this will most likely be a one man job in the end.

Why am I so depressed? It isn't in my nature. This will be fun, I tell myself. An adventure. Even still, my nerves bunch together into a knot right in the pit of my stomach. I suppose it's because the likelihood of failing is so probable. I have no clue how to do what I'm about to do, but I can't mess it up at all or we're all doomed.

The Secret explained to me that time travel destroyed universes, but it neglected to go over how. It kind of reminds me of school.

Apparently the energy thrown out by a single trip is too much, causing a universe to explode. But that doesn't make much sense, because it shouldn't be so controlled. Energy should just radiate out from the point where the person was, which would effectively destroy our universe, not another's. There has to be some device that allows time travel by diverting its energy.

Thankfully, the Secret showed me where it was. However it didn't say what it was or how to get there. I have to figure that out myself.

Hooray for critical thinking.

I keep the image of a dark room fixed in my mind. There are dozens of machines shoved against its edges. A platform sits in the center, emitting a strange multicolored light. It's probably one of the TKA's top-secret parallel universe contraptions.

Everything I'm doing is based off of assumptions. Though it does make things a bit more complicated, in a strange way it's helping me figure things out. Ever done one of those riddles where they tell you "Johnny lives next to the yellow house" and you have to figure out who owns the cat? That's what this feels like. You just have to try things out until they work.

I'm going to try the TKA now.

••••••••••Author's Ramblings••••••••••

Hello again!

Sorry this chapter was so short. There will be another one sometime this week, but I needed to make this a bit shorter to fit into the plotline. There will probably only be three more chapters... *sob.*

Question time! Do you think Maxx's assumptions will end up being right?

What's your favorite animal? Mine is the horse. Neigh.

If you haven't already, go check out my interview! The link is in the last chapter.

Thank you so much for reading, voting, commenting, and following. It's awesome, so therefore by the transitive property you are awesome.

Don't forget to check out AlinaKG's story The Dream Keeper's Dragon. It is also awesome.

That's all for now, so have a great day!