Chapter 11- Questioning

I will admit, I was pretty nervous during this interrogation- maybe even scared. Every plan I ran through in my head was immediately shot down. These circumstances were unique. I hope they never have to be experienced again.

At this point, one might be wondering whether or not I escaped from the clutches of the TKA.

I can tell you one thing... not exactly.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

My arms are getting tired.

I look around the room for the thousandth time. It is still the same. There is still no hope of escape.

Perhaps there is a way to blow a hole through the defenders. All I need is... Right. Greydon just walked up to me and took my weapon.

I could jump out of another window.

Not so fast, Maxx. First of all, there are no windows. Secondly, even if there were windows they would not be accessible because there are two rows of armed soldiers guarding the place.

Could I... what about... is it possible... No. None of my plans will work. I bite back a sigh.

"So, Maxx," Greydon addresses me. He's now standing a few feet away, but by his snide, intimidating tone it sounds like he's a lot closer.

I raise an eyebrow. "That's my name." The general glares at me, but I can tell that next to me Vanessa is stifling a laugh.

"I'm going to make this plain and simple. We know that you're the Master. There is no point in lying to us. I am going to ask you a few questions. Is that very clear?" he demands.

"Crystal," I snap back. Great. Another interrogation. These things just don't end. Feeling like a bug under close scrutiny your entire life is not exactly a pleasant experience.

"First. What are you?" he asks. I frown, confused.

"What am I? A normal human, I suppose." I'm not sure if he's serious or this is a cover for something darker.

"Liar! You're one of the Gifted, aren't you?" Greydon's eyes narrow. "Tell me where their headquarters are."

"You must be pretty thick if you think that I'd ever tell you something like that," I grin. "Besides, I honestly don't know." Well, I technically do, but not in this world.

He just glares at me. "Next question. If you don't answer this, you'll have to come with us." The general's mouth twists into a sinister lopsided smile.

"What is the Secret?" Of course. I knew that he was going to bring it up sooner or later.

Since there's no threat, I'm definitely not going to answer this. As much as I'd like to see Greydon's head on a plate, I can't risk a full-scale battle against a hundred soldiers.

Suddenly a searing pain splits my head. It rips through my brain, turning my vision black. I try not to show anything, but a small groan slips out. Everything goes black.

Then the world comes into focus again. I watch as a transparent version of me is arrested and dragged off. Vanessa, left behind, falls to the floor, dead.

It feels like I'm watching a movie. It all seems disconnected, but I can relate to it in some bizarre way. Oh, I finally realize, this must be the future.

I guess I'll have to change it, then.

I'm given the chance to about three seconds later when I'm snapped back to the real world. Everything looks just as I had left it, but Greydon stares at me with a quizzical look on his face.