Chapter 7- Discussion

It was official: I was starting to recognize reality. The only problem was that it was conflicting fiercely with paradoxes. Nearly everyone was still convinced that the reason Interrogation wanted me was because I had stolen jewels. Greydon, a friend, and I, however, knew the truth about the armband.

Then there was the matter of my eyes. Throughout the following day, I was able to piece together a clear enough picture of their significance. It turned out to be greater than I had expected.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I rub my sleep-encrusted eyes. The chip in my head chirps insistently. I guess I forgot to program it for nine thirty.

Nine thirty? Why so late? I sit bolt upright. I've overslept... Wait, no. It's only six a.m. - so why the confusion with nine thirty?

Ah yes. I have the day off from work, and Bil wanted me to come to the cafe. I still need to get directions there.

Waking up has never been my strong suit. I'm still groggy when I finally roll out of bed an hour later. Soz, sensing that I'm up, rushes over to me.

"Sir, I'd like to remind you of Bil's request. Also, there is a pile of paperwork on the table for you to complete. Officer Greydon said that it is due by lights out tonight," she explains.

"Hum. Thanks," I mumble. Glancing over to the indicated place, I observe the towering pile of papers. It is quite intimidating. "I'll do it later," I promise the robot. I'm slightly angered that Greydon gave me the hard copies of everything. It takes a significantly longer time to complete paper than it does to finish its completely digital counterpart.

I still have about two hours before I have to leave. As much as I'd like to procrastinate, I can't. No one knows what the day will bring, and that paperwork has to he turned in by tonight.

Sighing, I shuffle the pile into order and begin working. Name, occupation, reason for interrogation, parole... All of the different forms blur together. I'm probably not even filling most of them out correctly, but I've stopped caring at this point.

A long time later, I sign the last piece of paper. My hand aches and my eyes are blurry. I hand the stack to Soz, who immediately faxes it to Interrogation. It's finished. I grin, though I wish I could have burned those papers.

I hear a tiny beeping sound inside my head again. It's similar to my alarm but not quite as insistent. I glance at the watch adorning my left wrist.

Nine thirty. It's time to go. I try not to curse as I frantically scramble to get ready. I change in a minute and a half and sprint towards the elevator doors, grabbing my briefcase on the way past. I never did check to see if the armband was still there. I suppose I should do that.

I hit the button to call the elevator. When it shows up, I go to step in, until I suddenly remember that I don't know where I'm going.

"Soz! Give me the address of the cafe," I holler. Her front lights up as she looks it up.

"You're looking for Solaris. It's in building seventeen. If you tell the taxi you'll be sure to find it," she instructs.

"Thank you," I reply, stepping into the elevator.

When I get to Solaris, Bil is already there. "What took you so long?!" he chides. I glance at the time.

"It's only a minute past ten," I counter.

"That's one extra minute you made me wait."

"Sorry," I apologize, not really meaning it. I sit down on the side of the table opposite from him.