Old Companions P.1

For some reason I couldn't explain, I didn't touch or read the book. Why? Perhaps it was a great deal of fear Jacob expressed when he saw my interest in it. Or maybe it was the way Quil had been with his story, secretive and hesitant. Or maybe it was the fear of finally knowing the truth, maybe that's why Jacob had acted so suspiciously, maybe he thought I knew what lies behind the false lies. It certainly would show why Quil was so hesitant about telling me the Legend, thinking he'd give away the hidden code or message that was put in there for safe-keeping. Whichever of these reasons was the main one, I didn't know. All I know is that the book was important, it held a message, a certain truth, and I would figure it out.

Two days passed since my day out with Jacob, the rain had cleared from the skies of Forks, making a day or two of sunlight bright itself upon the dark and usually stormy town. The sun had been a foreign scene for the townspeople, so when the rays of sunshine had broken through morning's first light and beamed over the trees, it meant the day was for fun, not for school. But sunlight doesn't last forever, and soon the clouds came back. But the warmth still hung in the air.

I was packing up my school items, books, pens, and sketchbook, I was almost out the door when my eyes caught the book, The Legend, and History of the Quileutes, resting idly on my nightstand, a small layer of dust coating it from being left behind for such a long time. I had not touched it nor had I tried to since stepping inside the house that night. I couldn't, no matter how much I tried to bring myself to, I just couldn't. At least not yet.

But I have to, I think to myself. If I don't know, I never will. So with a great amount of force, I stride over to where the book lays and pluck it up, running my fingers over the title before stuffing it in my bag and walking downstairs. Bella is already up when I walk downstairs, munching on bacon as she sat at the table with Charlie. He was reading his newspaper and sipping coffee. I was surprised to see him, usually, he is gone before Bella or I wake up.

"You look nice," Bella compliments me as I walk inside the kitchen, heading straight for the food. I blush and smile at her, giving a small 'thanks'. I look nice because Abigail had taken it as her duty to get my clothes ready for me every morning. I knew letting her do it that one time was a mistake. But I let her do it, partly because it made her happy, mostly because it saved time for me.

I pile food onto my plate like a hungry beast, and when I sat down Charlie raises an eyebrow at the mountain of food on my plate. I look up from shovelling food down my throat and see them both looking at me with bewildered faces.

"I'm hungry---" I manage to spit out through mouthfuls of egg. They both raised amused eyebrows before turning back to their own business. Last night I skipped dinner because I was intent on finishing a sketch I was working on. It was one of Jacob---I had started it the night he dropped me off. The day he took me to the bookstore, I saw a different side of him. And I had to document it; after I finished it I had immediately fallen asleep, too tired to even acknowledge my empty stomach.

So now, here I am, guzzling food down like a bear.

Though I try not to think of it, I still manage to trail my thought to him. Dorian. He hadn't turned up once since the incident at the library. At first, I thought he was just giving me space, but then he continued to keep his distance. So now, after two days, I feel like it was all inside my head. Maybe he was just a figment of my imagination, I wouldn't doubt it if he was. I seem to be heading straight down the insanity lane in this town.

As I finish my food and with a full stomach clean my dishes, I hear Edward honk his car outside. I look up and out the kitchen window, seeing his pale form, his bronze hair, and butterscotch eyes. Just looking at him makes me more anxious to read my book, there must be something in there that can relate to Edward and his family and what kind of creatures they are.