A Palace Of Dreams

To understand the mind of a ghost, you have to first reencounter his past acquaintances and subjects. To investigate his personal items and journals and----blog if he or she had one and had written in it daily---and then file each and every single opinion down and organize them in alphabetical order or color-code. Then you have to try and put yourself in the shoes of the ghost, to experience everything he or she experienced. To indulge yourself in activities the ghost enjoyed and try to have the same opinion on them. Or, in any easier case, if you have no time to try all these tasks, you can just read the deceased's diary.

But since I have no connection whatsoever to Dorian's past nor do I know anything more than what he already told me, then all I could do whilst sitting there next to him in the school cafeteria was to try and understand why he was glaring so vehemently at Anthony.

While my mind worked out difficult cases sometimes on the spot, sometimes by time. This situation was sure to be hopeless. For one, I had no idea what Anthony had done to receive such a look from someone who may be dead. Nor could I understand why Dorian had been glowering at him when I'm sure they have never met and don't know anything about the other.

It all started when to Anthony came upon me as I was sitting alone in the cafeteria. I'd chosen a table far away from others, since Dorian said he would come back after I finished my classes, in the corner I could talk to him without anyone eavesdropping.

Suddenly someone gripped me by the head from behind and tilted my face, pressing a hard kiss to my cheek.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You are amazing. Without you, I would've totally flunked biology. Ahhh, I can't thank you enough, I was in that purgatory between B+ and A-," I turned my head and saw Tony, sitting down across me and setting his tray of food on the table. He sent me a toothy smile and ruffled his hair. I don't think he even noticed how red I was turning. I chuckled at him and smiled awkwardly.

"You know, it's those little things you do in school that makes people think we are a couple," I said, sharing a shudder with him. Most of the school share thought that Tony and I are secretly rendezvousing, and after time, we just stopped correcting people, instead we just throw up a little in our mouths and swiftly turn the other way trying to keep our breakfast down.

"Who cares what they think! This town is just desperate for some gossip, that's why the first opportunity I get, I'm gonna run from this place like the Grim-Reaper's hounds are at my feet." He smiled cheekily as he dug into his meal of over-greasy burger and probably expired drink. I smiled at him as I shifted in my seat; he was so innocent, so pure from the reality I know. Tony is like a blank paradise I can visit whenever my two different worlds meet head-on. But Tony won't be around anymore---he's gonna go to college and meet annoying roommates that he will eventually come to like, and then, across the crowded room, he'll see her. As if the universe had made it planned, they were destined for each other, and one date after the other he will get closer to marrying her and after that, I will be wearing an ugly bridesmaid dress as I watch the unidentified bride walk down the aisle to a beaming Anthony. And after that, Mr. and Mrs. Wade will go on and have a normal life, and soon...Anthony will forget all about Sophie Swan, the bizarre girl he used to know.

And when his spot will become empty, then I don't know what there is for me to do.

"Who is he?" A sudden English voice asked me from the seat a next to me. I swiftly stole a glance next to me and saw Dorian idly occupying the chair. I sent him a look, one that said not a good time Densmore. But the ghost didn't get the look.

He didn't get to say anything else. Because at the moment Anthony decided to speak up, oblivious to the other presence currently with us.

"So, you free to hang out today? I got all the available seasons of Vikings on DVD and without you constantly interrupting to ask silly questions, Vikings won't be the same and, Mom's been dying to see you again. What do you think? Can you come by my house around eight? " I nodded my head and smiled my agreement. Tony gave me one of his very famous smiles. The corners of the mouth rising up, pearly teeth showing, laughter and friendliness brightening up his eyes. Eyes that are exactly the same as Athena's.