knotted Threads

For a solid moment, everything stilled. The wind stopped breezing through our hair; the sunlight stopped sifting through the new forming clouds. The birds stopped chirping their enchanting tune, and the forest became frigid, and the life in it seemed lost.

For a moment I just looked at him, his eyes, well for a lack of a better word, were now grey, matching his mood. Talking about his father had dulled the blue in them, the light, and now, they were grey; you could use that one-word description but you wouldn't do him justice. I was struck by their coldness, like a stab of ice. Every detail in his iris so clear, so concise. For my lack of words, he was like a piece of art that nobody could understand, leaving everyone who stared confused, uncomprehending. It was the grey that flash of metal hitting the bright rays of the sun. It was like a hatch had opened in his eyes and the color had fallen out, leaving his eyes to look like the dazzling and breath-taking snow, or the sparkling diamond. It was the type of grey that women wished would grow out of their heads. But like I said, I could not do him justice... how could you do justice to a masterpiece?

My eyes traveled all over him, taking in every inch of detail my human eyes could take in. His lips were not full, yet not thin, just the right shape to match his sharp jaw. He had a scar above his left eyebrow, a jagged one that almost crossed his brow but didn't. He was tall, and he was lanky and he didn't have the built of a normal boy. If he were at school he would be called a nerd, but to me, he was imperfect, and he was beautiful.

"What do you think?" his whimsical voice brought me out of my thoughts. It seemed like I was far away from reality a lot these days, Bella and Charlie were starting to get annoyed with repeating the same sentence thrice before I would actually understand.

I looked at him, and one look in his eyes proved me correct in my assumption, that he was talking about the Cullens. He was staring at me expectantly, tilting his head gently to the side.

"I think now is the time to say it." I shifted in my spot on the grass and then slowly relaxed. A smirk became resident upon my features, one that rarely showed. "I told you so."

He chuckled and shook his head, the sun hitting the depth of his hair and making it seem like Raven's color. He turned back to me, biting the inside of his cheek to keep from smiling.

"Well that was simple, I expected you to shout it out or carve it into one of the trees."

"Don't tempt me," I warned playfully and he relaxed fully, his eyes, visibly, turning back to blue. It was like a bottle of magnificent blue dye had been pouring out of his pupil, because like paint, blue took over the grey and mixed with it, creating the yet again, enchanting color. One I could never get the chance to draw.

"I guess we should make it official, the Cullens are all vampires." He sighed through his nose. "What I can't fathom is why your sister is dating one of them, surely she knows, how could she still want to be with a monster---lord knows how old he actually is."

"Beats me," I muttered and landed down on my back, my joints cracking from trying to sit upright. I sighed and then closed my eyes, letting the sun hit my skin and drinking in the warmth. I listened in close and realized that the forest was back to life again. The birds chirped an everlasting song, the trees rustled and closed in together creating shade, and the wind had a song of its own, with a dance of the trees. I listened, as the wind swept past the tall trees and sung, and the trees responded by dancing, and the dancing caused the little birds to swing happily on the branches, and nature brought calmness to me. You'd think most people would feel incomprehensibly uncomfortable in a graveyard, where dead souls like to hang. But I was never among most people, and I didn't wanna entertain the thought. The sweetness of the sun hanging in the air, the whistle of the wind, and the rustling of the trees, and Dorian next to me...I could stay like this forever and never get bored.