Not Alone P. 2

Sophie Swan can honestly say that hardly anything surprised her anymore. Her life was so full of shocking adventures and events, that after some years the shock started to wear off whenever something unexpected that was deemed impossible to happen happened and was instead replaced with the words "I should have known."

Yet now, sitting opposite a man that was almost a ghost---or so she thought---she found herself somewhat surprised at the five words he had uttered merely minutes ago. Why was she so surprised at something she should have expected? Well, part of it was because she had always thought that only she noticed the strange mystery about the Cullens and thought herself crazy because only she could see the reality. And mostly because her crazy thought was true, and so were her ideas. The Cullens are not human. And neither are the Quileutes and somehow...neither is she in her mind.

Sophie took up some silence after this. She couldn't quite comprehend what he had just said without thinking she misheard him. Or without thinking herself crazy. She must've had looked pretty stupid, with eyes round as golf balls and mouth slightly agape. Yep, she looked pretty stupid. But anyone would be stupefied too if they had just heard the five words that confirmed all their crazy dangerous thoughts.

"Sophie?" Dorian asked timidly, casting a look of concern in her direction. She realized she was staring at him and blushed, heat pooling up at her cheeks. She composed her features to a more neutral one, but it still was hard to rid herself of the shock, you can't just shake something like that off.

"You think me mad don't you?" He didn't ask, he made a statement. As if he was sure she thought him crazy.

"You can't be any madder than me..." she muttered, digging her nails into her palms hoping the pain would bring some reality back into her and rid her of the shock.

"How long have you thought such...thoughts?" She asked, rigid in her seat. For some reason, this conversation was a lot more serious than it should have been. And talking about it in such a common place such as the library made it all more absurd.

"Well...it took some time for the thoughts to develop. One simply does not look past the beauty and grace immediately to notice something off about them...something---I can't quite explain it. Its...it's like..."

"Like you're attracted to them in a dangerous way. Like they have this aura around them that pulls you to them, and you know they are dangerous, but you don't care..." Sophie finished his sentence. She had a look in her water-blue eyes that made Dorian intrigued to know what was going in her head. Suddenly something clicked in his head.

"Yeah...yeah that's exactly the way that---that it feels like." He stumbled on his words, catching the flickering look in her eyes. His mindset on to work, the detective in him noticing the things that gave something away. The nervous tapping of her knees, the constant biting of her lip, the blank mask she had put on that somehow he could see through. It all connected to each other.

"You know something, don't you?" he made the statement. His eyes looked accusingly at her and she found herself avoiding looking into them. Yes, she knew something, that it was obvious. But she didn't know if she should tell Dorian, who knows what he might think. And she still doesn't know him all that much yet she finds herself telling him things nobody should be told, she needs to close herself up for a bit until she is sure she can trust Dorian. But what could he do, he's not alive or anything. Then she got an idea.

"...yes I know something..." she mumbled.

"....well?" he asked, impatient.

The bell rang, echoing around the school and signaling the end of Sophie's free period. Now she understood the meaning of the phrase 'Saved by the bell'. She got up and started collecting her stuff, ignoring the frustrated look on Dorian's face. She broke the tense silence that faced them

"Listen I gotta go, maybe I'll see you later."

"Sophie wait!"

She didn't wait.

hey guys, I am so sorry, I was just going through drafts and found out I never published this one, so if you read it now, New Secrets to Uncover will make more sense.