Chapter 8: Wolves Gambit

"Yah!" She cried out, swiping her sword swiftly at the Ultra.

The Ultra dropped me and directs its attention to her. I run to Athena and shook her awake.

"Hey, hey, hey!" I said in a rush.

She groans gently. "Uhhhggg. Tara?" She says.

"Tara?" I asked.

She fell back asleep. I turn back to the Ultra Captain being killed by the Warlock. She walks up to me.

"And here I thought the Wolves learned their lesson," she says.

"Thank you, for saving us, mom," I said, hugging her.

"Since when did the Wolves turned on the Queen?" She asks.

"Well, I was searching for an entrance to the Black Garden and-" She covers my mouth.

"Wolves turned on Queen, she needs your help. And assuming your Black Garden Quest, you owe her. And now you're paired with the Emissary's Daughter to catch the Wolves and the only Kell that could've been freed, was Skolas," she says fast-paced.

I stammer. "Uh- u- I uh- you..."

She smiles at me with her eyes closed. "But you know, just a guess. Was I close? Was I? Was I!?"

"You were pitch perfect," I finally say with a smile.

She pets my head, "Good," walking towards the holographic Traveler, staring at it.

I shake my hair and straighten it. Then I stare at her as she stares at the Traveler.

"Not even the Vex can tell the time of the real fight," she says. "But, I guess this is all we have left. It may be somewhat easy and peaceful in the city, but if there's one thing I learned, it's that whether if it's the Darkness, or us, there's something or someone that finds a way to cause conflict... maybe one will open the Speaker's eyes. And here I thought Osiris was the blindest of us all."

Osiris?

I pick up Athena and transmatt my ship to the other side of the window. I toss Athena at my ship, teleporting her inside and let my ship take her to the Reef for recovery. Now, when I mean, "Toss," I didn't mean like I tossed her, teleported her in my ship and take fall damage. The ship has a gravity control. So when I tossed her, she landed gently on the ship's ground. Trust me, I'm not that reckless. When my ship left, I turn to my mom.

"Now, I didn't just come here to save you, I came here to tell you something," she says.

"Huh? What's up?" I ask.

"You and I are going to practice a new trick this weekend. Meet me at the house this Saturday."

"Why? What are you going to teach me?" I ask.
I'm really curious what a Warlock can teach a Hunter.

"Something you never learned," she replied.
"Look I'd love to tell you, but it's something needs to be told in private."

"Delivery to Reef was successful, Crim. Athena is being taken cared of right now," Nolan reported in thought.

"Well I gotta go," mom said.

She hugged me tightly. I just can't get over how soft she is... I hugged back and sighed.

"Mmkay, I gotta go too," I said.

We let go of each other and said our goodbyes. She jumps out the window and disappeared. I ran to the edge of the window to look around. I couldn't find her.

"Talk about an exit," I said, looking out the window.

+ + +

I went back to the Reef to check up on Athena. She's okay, just severely wounded. She'll make a full recovery, so that's good. Petra demanded me to tell me what happened to her. I explained to her everything without a single detail left out.