II - Attack

It's been a week since I've left camp. I finally got back home and I've just been relaxing for the past few days. There's the occasional monster attack but I do a perimeter check every couple of hours. Helen's been really good to me, it seems that she's accepted me with everything that happens to me. I've kept in touch with all of my siblings and they've kept me updated with camp. Apparently, everyone hates that Aphrodite girl because she was the reason I left. Piper especially, she hates her more than she hates Drew and that's saying something. Even Aphrodite doesn't like her, apparently Aphrodite came to camp and started yelling at the girl. Something about breaking up her OTP?

Anyway, it's a Wednesday afternoon, and a cool breeze is blowing through my window. I'm just reading my architecture book on my bed when I hear something downstairs. I put my book down and grab my knife. I start creeping down the stairs when I hear muffled noises.

Ideas go through my head and then I think of something horrible.

Dad

Helen

Bobby

Matthew

No. That can't happen, I won't let it.

The sounds are coming from the kitchen, so I quietly sneak over to the door. Helens voice comes from the door.

"Annabeth, honey. Could you please come downstairs? I could really use your help!"

Helen never calls me honey. I peek in and see a cyclops. I burst in with my dagger held in a defensive position.

"I'd suggest that you leave before you answer to general Tyson."

The Cyclops looked at me and roared with laughter.

"Puny Demigod, the general cannot harm us! We serve a new master, one who will let us roam free!"

I tighten my grip on my knife.

"Alright, so you won't listen to Tyson. So how about I send you to Tartarus? I've been there before, it's a lovely place."

The Cyclops looked terrified for a millisecond, but he regained his composure. His red eye glared at me with hatred. Then it dawned on me that I've seen this Cyclops before.

"You?"

He grins evilly.

"You finally remember who I am, daughter of Athena."

I stumble backwards into a kitchen counter, this Cyclops is the same one I faced almost ten years ago. I regain my composure and get into a battle stance. The Cyclops steps away from Helen and takes a step towards me. Without hesitation, I lunge forward and stab him in the eye. He disintegrates into a golden powder, leaving a tied up family in the kitchen. I rush towards them and untie my dad. He crushes me in a hug before moving on to freeing Helen. I cut Bobby and Matthews ropes and they jump up and hug my legs. I pick them up and hug them tightly. When I put them down, Helen crushes me in a hug.

"Thank you Annabeth."

I just hug her back. But I realise that I can't stay here, I'll just put them in more danger. I let go and Helen studies my face. I take a step back and look at my family. They look so happy, and I can't destroy that happiness. I run upstairs and pack another backpack full of the stuff I'll need. Then I write out a note to dad and Helen, explaining what I was doing and that I loved them and the boys. I leave the note in an envelope and leave it on my bed. I take one more look at my room, then I jump out the window and run.