VIII - A Screaming Hat, That's New

~Hermione~

Seeing Piper cry was heartbreaking. Going up to the castle without the girls felt wrong. I only met them a couple of hours ago but they were really nice. I take my place at the Gryiffindor table next to Harry and Ron. I glance to the doors a couple of times before they slowly open up and reveal the girls and guys. I look at Piper and see that she seems a lot happier than she was an hour ago. McGonagall walks past them and takes her place on the podium.

"Students of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, please welcome the exchange students from Lady Hecate's School of Magic."

Around the hall are scattered claps as the group walk forward. McGonagall steps forward and puts the Sorting Hat on its usual stool. The hat stayed perfectly still until Leo called out

"Is something supposed to happen or do we stand here and sort ourselves?"

The hall erupted into laughter with the exchange students joining in. The brim of the hat tears open and starts talking.

"You know, I was going to sing but now I just don't feel like it. Alrighty McGonagall, bring it on!"

McGonagall strode up to the hat and unrolled a scroll. Even though she kept a calm demeanour, I could tell that she was trying not to laugh. She clears her throat and starts reading out the names.

"Di Angelo, Nico"

Nico was a small kid with dark hair and even darker eyes but his skin was a pale olive. As he walked up to the stool, all the ghosts became restless. When he was twenty feet away, the hat let out an ear splitting shriek.

"NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! DON'T PUT ME ON THAT BOYS HEAD!! HE'S BEEN THROUGH TOO MUCH!!!! HE'S BEEN THROUGH MUCH WORSE THAN EVERYONE IN THIS HALL PUT TOGETHER!!!!!!! HE'S BEEN THROUGH WORSE THAN THE CHOSEN ONE!!!!"

After screaming, the hat starts sobbing uncontrollably. Somewhere between his sobs, the hat chokes out

"Gryiffindor."

Nico walks to the Gryiffinor table and quietly sits down next to Harry. Harry looks at Nico, dumbfounded, as Nico is only fourteen. McGonagall looks down at the scroll again, ignoring all the stares in her direction.

"Grace, Jason"

The blondie walks up and takes his place on the stool. The hat is placed gently on his head and this time, thankfully, it stays quite. After about ten seconds, Jason is also placed in Gryiffindor.

"Jackson, Perse-"

"JUST PERCY!"

A small smile plays on the edges of McGonagall's mouth.

"Jackson, Percy"

Percy walks up and at ten feet away, the hat lets out a tortured scream.

"YOU WENT THROUGH THERE AS WELL!!?????!!!!!! NOPE, NO NO NO!!! I REFUSE TO GO ON HIS HEAD!!! HES BEEN THROUGH WORSE THAN HARRY POTTER!!! *hic* Gryffindor *hic*"

After the hat finishes crying, Percy walks over to the Gryiffindor table and sits next to Jason. The hat calms down and McGonagall reads out the next name.

"Levesque, Hazel"

Hazel walks up, her cinnamon toast hair bouncing behind her. She sits down, eager to be sorted. When the hat is placed on her head, it takes a little longer than Jason did.

"You would do well in Hufflepuff but I think that you belong in GRYIFFINDOR!"

Hazel takes off the hat and jumps on top of Percy, messing up his already messy hair. She then plops herself down next to Nico and they start talking in Latin. I only caught a few words because my own Latin is limited but I caught the word "pater". Dad.