~Chapter I (Jess POV)~

⚠️triggers up ahead⚠️

My name's Jess. And I will be 16 in two days. I was currently living with my uncle Jack Bruno. It's true, we are related through blood, yes, but I am completely different. Even more different from my parents which had died on my tenth birthday. I have very long and completely and pure white hair and blue eyes, bright ice-blue around the iris and a ring of a darker blue. I wasn't really that tall. Next to my uncle I was like a dwarf and he was a giant. Well, back to my parents. Like I said, they had died at my tenth birthday. First, I was in an orphanage for a few weeks. In these few weeks I was abused by the older children and by one of the supervisors, which had to watch over us. It was a male. They all kept beating me. I was often falling into a depression and I used to cut myself everywhere. Arms, hands, legs and also my stomach. But lucky for me, that didn't go unnoticed. I was brought to my uncle Jack. He had seen my bruises and cuts. They had been taking a huge amount of time to heal. My mentality was very weak, due to these events in the orphanage. During the time of healing, I fell into a depression, again. I was still traumatized and had started to cut again, but Jack interfered, before it could get too bad. That was almost 6 years ago. He was working as a cab driver now and sometimes I had the chance to go with him.

Today I was sitting in my uncle's cab again. The car was currently standing in front of an airport hotel.
A short haired brunette got in.
"Planet Hollywood, please", she said and shut the door.
'Not again this place', I thought annoyed.
Jack's face had the same expression like my thought were. He had been driving people to Planet Hollywood everyday.
"They've got everything here. This place is truly like being on another planet. With all this to see every night you must never get bored", the woman said while looking out the window as we drove through the streets.
'Oh you're so wrong!'
We got to the destination and Jack stopped the car in a parking lot for taxis in front of the building.
"Welcome to the nutjob convention", Jack said ironically.
"I understand your reaction. They're certainly not helping our cause."
"Our cause?"
"Educating the public on the legitimate possibility of life on other planets.
As a matter of fact I'm giving a lecture on astrophysical anomaly detection on the, eeeh, nutjob convention."
She handed Jack a flyer.
"Feel free to stop by. Close minded skeptics are always welcome. Your co-driver too."
'Oh, no thanks.'
"Keep the change", she said before opening the door and getting out.
"Thanks", Jack said before she made a step. He sighed and read the card.
"Dr. Alex Friedman. A classic."
He murmured the last. I was looking at him and analyzed his expression.
"You like her."
"What?"
"I said you like her", I repeated.
Jack shook his head and drove us home. When we got there, we heard loud yelling from above us. Jack went to his punching bag, as usually.
"Hey come on, knock it off, will ya?
I need my sleep!" it came from above.
"Yeah, me too", I heard Jack say in the other room.
'And me too you jerks!' I thought angrily.
Luckily, I could still fall asleep and sleep soundly without waking up once in the night.

~Time skip to next morning~

We got out early again. Like we have done every day. I put on a white top and blue shorts.

My shoes were white with black stripes and sprinkles, of course rainbow colored

We went out to where the taxis were. When we had gotten to Jacks cab, there was a big black car parking in front of it.
"Hey guys, you gotta move this thing, I gotta go", Jack said.
Just then two tall guys got out of the black car.
"Jack", one of them said.
My uncles face fell again.
"Don't return phone calls anymore?"
"Mr. Wolf thinks you're being rude", the second one said.
"Well then, tell Wolf that when I said that I was out and it was the last time, I meant it."
He wanted to pass them, but they were holding him back. I got nervous when I saw that. Uncle Jack had told me about that Mr. Wolf and I also had heard some things from my surroundings too, even from the school. It's constantly being said, that Mr. Wolf is a really bad guy, but the police doesn't do a thing about him. They know that he's some sort of a criminal, but I think nobody knows why the police is just sitting around. Uncle Jack had told me, that he had worked for this guy too, before I came into his view. When I was brought to him, he wanted to stop his actions, just for me. I really love him for that.
"Mr. Wolf decides when it's the last time. Not you Jack."
"He likes you Jackie. He hates to see you wasting your god given driving talent, giving fat tourists cab rides up and down the strip. But we're kinda late for that. Especially with this rare beauty of your niece there."
I got scared and quickly took a step back.
"Leave her out of this!"
One of them grabbed his shoulder. Jack punched both, the first one into the face and the second one in to the stomach, before grabbing them both by their neck and slamming their heads onto the hood.
'Way to go uncle Jack! Show them what you've got in store for these jerks!' I cheered inside my head.
"You got a death wish?"
Jack leaned down to their ears.
"I drive a cab in Vegas", he said.
He let go of the men's neck and walked to the drivers door while I was on my way to the passengers door.
"You're dead Jack!"
Both men were going to grab their guns, but then a police car came up.
"Hey!" the policeman shouted, "What are you doing?
Are you insane? Now move this thing out of the taxi zone before I'll give you a ticket.
"See you soon, Jackie", one of the men said before they got into their car and drove away.
Jack was getting in the cab, which was a signal for me to get in too. While we were driving on the street, I looked into the rearview mirror and spotted two strangers in the back of the car. I tapped my uncle Jack on his shoulder and pointed to the rearview mirror. He suddenly slammed on the breaks so that I jerked forward and ended up coughing because of the seat belt.
"Are you ok?"
'Yeah totally, I was almost strangled by the strap.'
I nodded. Yeah, I forgot to mention that I didn't speak very often, if it wasn't necessary. Jack turned back to the passengers. I turned around to them too, only to see that the two strangers were two teenagers around my age. They had blond hair and blue eyes. They looked very similar to each other too, they could be siblings. Maybe they really were.
"W-where did you come from?" my uncle asked.
"O-outside", the boy answered.
He was kinda cute. His sister looked at me, smiling.
'What? Do I have something in my face?'
She shook her head.
'Can she read minds?'
I could have been hallucinating, but I swear that I saw a nod.
"Yeah, I figured that part out on my own. How'd you get in the car?"
"Through that portal", the girl said and both her and the boy pointed to their left side at the door.
"I'm Seth this is my sister Sara. We require your transportation services immediately."
"Really? Well I require..."
"Currency transaction", the girl, Sara interrupted uncle Jack.
"Will this amount suffice?"
Seth held a lot of money towards Jack.
"What, did you two rob a bank?"
"Is this acceptable Jack Bruno?"
"How'd you know my name?" Jack shot.
Sara pointed to his driver license.
'Smart.'
"If we have a deal for your services we must move forward rapidly. It's urgent we get to our destination without delay."
"Alright, alright I'm going", he shouted outside his window.
"Where to?"
I heard beeping.
"I need an address!"
He was getting impatient and annoyed.
"We must travel in that direction", Sara said pointing a bit to the right.
"Well I'm going to need something more specific than just 'that direction'."
'Oh man, his face is so priceless.'
"We must locate latitude 40.54 cross intersecting longitude ..."
Jack stopped him by holding up his hand.
"We're just gonna stick with that direction", he said.
I couldn't help but chuckle. It would be a long ride so I grabbed my iPod and closed my eyes listening to the calming music.