~Chapter II~

Jess POV

We were still driving when I opened my eyes again. I must have slept because I felt sleepy. When I opened my eyes, there was a long highway in front of us and around us just desert. I looked to the fare that was shown. It said 397.30 dollars. Then it jumped to 397.40 dollars. Suddenly Jack decided to speak up and interrupt the silent.
"Are your parents gonna be okay with you guys spending all this money?"
He was sounding annoyed.
"We have previously agreed upon our financial deal.
If your concern is regarding compensation..."
"My concern is the fact that I've got a couple of kids, minus my niece, in my cab with a big wad of cash and a drop off location that's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Now in my book that's a little chapter called 'Running away'."
Just then a voice came through the radio.
"Jack, you better be getting desert miles on that fare.
And they'll better be able to pay. And you better get me an ETA! Capeesh?"
My uncle grabbed the microphone.
"I'm loosing reception Dominick", he said.
"Jack?Jack?..."
"Jack Bruno the vehicles behind us are indicating a pattern of pursuit", Sara suddenly said.
'What?'
She confused me with that. I looked into the rearview mirror.
'Jeez, what is she talking about. There is no car!'
"There are no vehicles following."
Just then a few vehicles appeared on the horizon.
"At your current rate of speed versus theirs...
they will overtake our vehicle in less than one minute."
'Hey what's wrong with those two? They're just big black cars. Wait. Big black cars? Wolf's men? Again?'
"Relax kid! I'm just gonna let them pass."
I caught them both while they exchanged worried glances.
"Open road people, it's all yours", Jack yelled out the window and made a hand gesture.
A black car drove past our taxi. Jack turned around to the two passengers in the back.
"See what'd I tell ya, nobody is following us. I'm a king of these roads..."
"JACK BRUNO!" Sara yelled.
Suddenly the car in front of us was standing diagonally on the road. One car behind us slammed into the side, causing the taxi to spin like a carousel.
We drove past the diagonally standing car.
"I said I was out and I meant it!"
"Who is Mr. Wolf, Jack Bruno?"
"How do you know that..."
The car behind us slammed into the taxis back, making us jerk forward in our seats. I was choking again.
"Sweetheart, are you okay?"
I shook my head and kept choking and coughing.
"Get in the back and get down now!"
I did as I was told. The cars were trying to trap us between them.
"Hold on", Jack said before speeding up.
We were now free from the other cars. Then there was another bump and I just noticed a hard ground and that I was rolling.
My whole body was hurting, like it was burning with fire. I sat up and saw a car driving into my direction.
It was too close for me to get out alive, so I made myself as small as possible and waited for the impact. Just then I felt a breeze and looked up to see a brown t-shirt. It belonged to Seth.
'What is he doing here?'
He gave me a confused look. Then the car hit us. But it didn't kill us, or hurt us. No. We damaged the car. The car flipped over our heads with some serious damage on the front and landed with a loud crash. Then there was the sound of tires.
"Hey, you're okay?" Seth asked me.
I nodded. He helped me standing up, but it seems that this was too much for my body's liking. It all still burned like hell. I winced.
"No, you're not okay. Come on."
He scooped me up.
'Am I not heavy?'
"You're not heavy. You're as light as a feather."
'How could he hear my thoughts?'
He went around the car as the taxi drove backwards in our direction. As soon as it has stopped, we got into the car.
"You three okay?" Jack asked as we got in.
"We are..."
"We should just keep moving."
Seth sounded a bit breathless.
"Stay here", Jack said.
I noticed that I was still sitting on Seth's lap so I tried to get down. But it wasn't that painless.
"You're hurt really bad", Sara stated.
I shook my head.
'No I'm fine. It's nothing', I wanted to say, but Jack got back in the taxi and went on driving.
"How you three holding up back there?"
"Do you have a medical bag?"
"Why what's wrong?"
'Nothing is wrong, it's okay!' I thought.
"We have to attend your wounds."
'No, it's fine, really!'
"The first aid kit is in the front... Wait... Here."
Jack gave Seth the first aid kit. He opened it and searched for some things.
"We have to clean your wounds first", he then said.
He took my left arm while Sara took my right one and they both started to clean the cuts on my arms.
Just then I realized how bad I must look. My arms and legs were mostly covered with cuts and heavy bruises of all kinds; red, yellow, green, blue and violet. It was stinging suddenly. I looked to my left to see Seth using disinfectant. After he had finished, he grabbed me by my waist and pulled me on his lap, making me yelp. He chuckled. Then he grabbed my legs one by one and cleaned them too, like they both had done with my arms. They had as many cuts as my arms. While my cuts got cleaned I slowly fell asleep, with my head on Seth's shoulder.

Seth's POV

I was shocked when I saw her falling out of the car. I turned around when she was rolling over the ground.
"Seth, no. It's not a good idea", Sara responded to my thoughts.
I had thought of jumping after the girl and rescuing her.
"I have to try", I shot.
"It's too dangerous."
I didn't listen to her and just phased through the back. When I felt the hard surface of the ground under my shoes, I immediately turned around and ran for the girl. She was making herself as small as possible. I sat down in front of her and embraced her with my body. Then, I suddenly heard a voice in my head.
'What is he doing here?'
I gave her a confused look.
A few seconds later, the car hit but didn't harm us. I was using my special ability, like the humans would say.
"Hey, you're okay?" I asked the girl when the car crashed on the ground.
She nodded so I helped her with standing up. But I saw her wincing.
"No, you're not okay. Come on", I said and scooped her up.
I heard a voice in my head again.
'Am I not heavy?' it said.
"You're not heavy. You're as light as a feather."
I went around the black car as the taxi drove backwards into our direction. As soon as it had stopped, we got into the car.
"You three okay?" Jack asked as we got in.
"We are..." Sara started.
"We should just keep moving", I interrupted her.
"Stay here", Jack said and got out of the car.
Just then the girl tried to get off of my lap.
"You're hurt really bad", Sara stated.
My head jerked up. The girl shook her head. Jack got back in the taxi and went on driving.
"How you three holding up back there?"
"Do you have a medical bag?" Sara asked.
"Why what's wrong?"
"Nothing is wrong, it's okay!" The girl interrupted.
Her voice was so beautiful. Like her.
'Wait, what?'
"We have to attend your wounds."
"No, it's fine, really!"
"The first aid kid is here in the front... Wait... Here."
Jack gave me the first aid kit. I opened it and searched for some things.
"We have to clean your wounds first", I said.
I took her left arm while Sara took her right one and we both started to clean the cuts on her arms. I was shocked. Her arms and legs were mostly covered with cuts and heavy bruising of all kinds; red, yellow, green, blue and violet. She whined suddenly. I looked at her face, only to see tears in her eyes. After I had finished, I grabbed the girl by her waist and pulled her on my lap, making her yelp. I chuckled. Then I grabbed her legs one by one and cleaned them too like her arms. They had as many cuts as the girl's arms. While I was cleaning the cuts, she slowly fell asleep, with her head on my shoulder.