Chapter 17: Ready For The World

*

A handful of days passed since Egypt's previous interview with Wal-Mart.

She successfully lived in inventory whilst the employee's paraded in and out. 

Egypt's belly had grown substantially large since last time. She thought the gain emerged from her consistent indulgence of Nacho Cheese Doritos and Mountain Dew. The snacks conjured memories of Prince and Egypt's lazy days upon the couch watching television. She had officially ceased her studies at Minnesota High during these days. She figured that Prince's career as a singer would have taken off by now. The memories brought tears to her eyes. 

She wished that later their days would be spent together as a family instead of apart. Egypt believed that her child deserved a mother as much as a father. 

*

The employees bolted through the doors and Egypt's contemplation grew silent. She covered her mouth to control her gasp as she listened thoroughly to their conversation. 

'Did you hear about orientation? Wal-Mart is picking five applicants out of the hundred that applied. ' 

'Yeah, Wal-Mart can't wait to add more slaves to the plantation.'  

'Did they even mention when the orientation would begin?'

'Tomorrow.' 

The employees muttered for a few more minutes and eventually left like usual. 

Egypt held her breath at the thought of finally getting a job. She didn't have to attend High School anymore. She didn't mind working for a store as long as it paid the bills. 

*

The day came to a close rather quickly and Egypt was exhausting from daydreaming throughout the day. 

It seemed like nothing could ruin her jollity.