Chapter 12

Zariah's POV………………

I opened my eyes with a fuzzy feeling in my head. It was pitch black, which made me suspicious. I racked my brain, trying to remember anything from before I was knocked out. Aha! I was in the forest, with Josh and the guard. There was a shovel, a hole, and a….a coffin! I felt around myself. I was in the coffin. I started to hyperventilate and I could feel myself sweat with fear and anxiety.

“Help! Please, someone!”

I screamed, feeling tears well up in my eyes.

I was still hyperventilating and I was kicking and screaming. I was out of breath. I was panicking and having an anxiety attack. I had to get out.

“HELP! PLEASE SOMEONE, I’M TRAPPED! PLEASE, ANYONE!”

I screamed as loud as my lungs would allow. It was getting hot and I was easily getting tired.

I screamed one blood churning scream.

“AHHHHHHHHHHH!”

 I was sobbing by now, and kicking my feet like a crazy person.

I knew that if I kept going at this rate, I would lose the precious oxygen that I desperately needed to survive in this air-tight coffin.

I stopped screaming and tried to take deep breaths. If I kept hyperventilating, I would lack the air later on.  I tried to calm my breathing, but was doing a pretty terrible job.

My heart rate was accelerating and I thought for sure I would have a heart attack, or seizure, or something if I didn’t calm down.

“I see you’re awake.”

Josh’s voice was quiet and muffled coming from the outside.

I stopped breathing hard to hear him.

“You have five minutes to get out or you’ll be buried alive. Your five minutes starts….. NOW!”

I gasped and started to panic again.

“Please get me out! I can’t, I can’t! Get me out of here! PLEASE! HELP ME GET OUT! JUST LET ME OUT, PLEASE!”

I was screaming, and pleading him to let me out.

“Time is running out, sweetheart.”

Josh’s voice yelled from outside.

I stopped screaming. I saved my voice and started to kick.

I was kicking rapidly at the foot of the coffin. My toes started to ache, and soon enough, they were numb. I was still barefooted, yet I didn’t care. I’d rather live than have my toes intact.

I was desperately kicking the coffin from the inside. Each time I kicked, my kicks got harder. I would switch which foot I’d kick with every five times.

Right foot: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Left foot: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Pain shot through my toes, then spread to my whole feet, then up my legs.

I stopped kicking at the coffin, feeling that I was getting nowhere with it.

I tried screaming again.

“I CAN’T DO IT! HELP ME, PLEASE! I NEED HELP! GET ME OUT OF HERE!”

I screamed, hoping Josh was still there, and wasn’t gonna let me just suffocate in the coffin.

“Tick tock, tick tock. Hurry, my dear.”

Josh’s voice was muffled but I was happy he was still there.