*9*

Phil trudged back from the office, a grave look on his face. He couldn't think of how he could make it up to Dan. Dan had had a rough past and Phil had just gone and shouted at him for little more than Dan advising him in the way that he needed. Soon enough, the money in his pocket would be gone but only if he continued on as he had been. If not, Phil could keep enough money to run the house and look after Dan to the extent he needed.

The apartment loomed over Phil as if a warning not to enter but this was Phil's home and no matter how much he already cared for Dan, he wouldn't leave just because another man was there. He stalked up the stairs and pushed the door open gently. Dan was nowhere in sight. He hadn't been in the bedroom or the corridor, where he usually was. Phil then peered into the joint kitchen, living room to see Dan curled in a tight ball on the sofa. He had tears streaming down his cheeks in waves and his small body was trembling lightly.

'Dan!' Phil panicked, running to his side, wiping the tears away. 'I'm so sorry.' He brought Dan to his chest, Dan being able to tuck in perfectly due to his height. 'How long have you been like this, Dan?' Phil asked, scanning his body to see blatant signs of a panic attack.

Dan, finally looking up at Phil, shook his head. 'Don't be sorry; this is my fault.' His voice cracked and Phil brought him closer to his chest, cradling him like a baby. Phil stroked Dan's hair from his wet face, trying to comfort him but he was unsure of what to do.

'Truce?' He asked, smiling, pulling away slightly to see Dan. Dan nodded, his cheeks flushed and his eyes puffy. 'Truce.' Dan replied, knowing he had already forgiven Phil. Phil didn't realise what he had done or maybe he did. Dan couldn't know that. Either way, they had now called a truce and they had forgiven each other and they could only hope that they would hold together.

'You've been too kind to me.' Dan stuttered, wiping the tears from his cheeks. He looked down at his shirt, 'I've even stained this t-shirt.' He sighed, self-hatred evident in his eyes. Phil looked down at Dan's top to see the black t-shirt with a bright white circle on it that he never wore. 'It's yours now, anyway. I'm sure you don't mind a tear stain or too. It's very unlikely to leave a permanent mark.' Phil reassured, bringing Dan back to his chest missing the already familiar closeness they had.

It was hard to think that they had only known each other a few days. Phil had practically given up his life for Dan and Dan had given up his security for Phil- or maybe he didn't, at least, he gave Phil to benefit of the doubt that he wouldn't hurt him.

There was sudden knock on the door only a few moments later and Phil shot from my seat. 'I forgot!' He called out, his eyes wide with shock. 'Do you mind staying in the bedroom and entertaining yourself. I'm afraid that they won't take so well to a Neko as I do.' Phil panicked but Dan just smiled.

'Thanks for thinking of me.' Dan reassured and rushed off to the bedroom to not only clean himself up but sleep a bit. The shaking had worn him out and his eyelids were already heavy.

Phil, whilst Dan went, rushed to the door and pulled it open still in his work clothes- a simple white, with blue stripes, shirt and some simple brown work trousers. At the door was Troye, Tyler, Zoe and Cat. They bustled in without so much of a 'come inside' but Phil was used to it by now, they came round often. Despite his apartment being the worst, it was the closest to all of them. Troye and Tyler were roommates who only lived a street away and Zoey lived a five-minute walk whilst Cat's house was only about a minute longer but they all lived in different directions so that meant from some of their houses to the others it could take up to half an hour.

'I haven't seen you in so long!' Zoe squealed, going on her tiptoes to be able to hug Phil comfortably. Troye and Tyler both sent Phil a smug smirk, it was overt that they wanted Phil and Zoe to get into a relationship. 'I missed you, Phil.' Cat smiled and brought Phil into a lot gentler hug and let go rather quickly to join the two boys in the living room.

They all stared at the static screen and peered at Phil curiously. 'It hasn't worked for a while.' He stated, sighing, sitting next to them on the sofa. It wasn't as if they were going to watch TV anyway but it would have been nice for not everything to be broken. 'How have you been?' Troye spoke, his Australian accent thick. Phil just shrugged and leant his head back, staring at the ceiling. 'Work is as usual.' He stated, fiddling with his fingers. The others gave him pitying looks but said nothing, they couldn't do anything about it anyway.

Tyler stood up. 'We need coffee!' He announced going to the kitchen but, unfortunately, he didn't know the apartment as well as the others and ended up opening the door to the bedroom.

'No!' Phil shouted but the door was already open and Dan was standing on the other side like a deer in the headlights. Both Dan and Phil were silent as the others gawked, their eyes glued to the ears on his head. It was lucky that his tail was tucked away but it made no difference, it only lessened the attention.

'What have you done, Phil.' Zoe breathed.

'I saved a Neko?' Phil sounded unsure of himself. He didn't know what to say. How could he explain this? Dan had his head bowed and looked fearful of what was about to happen when all tension was broken. 'He's so cute!' Cat squealed and brought him into a hug. Dan froze and didn't move until she let him go but he restrained himself from pushing her away, Phil was proud of him for that.

'This is dangerous but I have to admit, the Neko crisis is cruel.' Troye stated whilst Tyler continued to stare in shock and Zoe simply stood up.

'You haven't thought this through, have you? I'm going. I won't have my friend killed because of a Neko.' She spat and stalked out. The others all turned to face her, in even more shock than before. It was the least Zoe thing she had ever said. Zoe was kind, often calm but there was a part of her that wasn't afraid to state her opinion- even when the rest didn't agree. It was just one of those times. But, never had she ever said something so cruelly.

Phil turned to Dan to check he was okay but he was shaking again. Phil scooped him up almost like a toddler and soothed him whilst the others looked with curious eyes. 'She didn't mean it, she's just shocked.' He cooed, the onlookers pitying the boy. Dan looked so vulnerable in his arms. He was still shaking but his breathing had slowed.

'I think we should leave.' Troye mumbled, backing away to the door. Phil nodded, shyly, Dan still balanced like a toddler on his hip. Tyler followed him out but Cat stayed put.

'I'm sorry about that.' She sighed, putting a reassuring hand on Phil's arm. 'It was nice to see you, though. And you too.' She smiled at Dan who sent one back, although it was barely visible. Cat then left, leaving Dan and Phil alone. That hadn't gone well. And Dan, not only was he crying but he had someone who could report him. And, if they did, they were both in danger.

word count: 1336

published: 9.03.17