*24*

A/N Not entirely happy with this chapter because it's kind of short since recently I've been writing far longer chapters over most of my books but I think the next update will be a long one. Although, a warning now, it might take a while to come out because school begins on Wednesday and my schedule has changed so that updates are longer but less frequent. Sorry but anyway, whilst my holiday still lasts, enjoy the newest chapter!

Phil stared. The glass separating them creating an image as clear as day before him. He felt as if he were watching a TV screen. Dan wasn't there, surely. After all this, Dan couldn't just be...here.

The cat repulsed, it's hair expanding. No, this couldn't be Dan. They had established so early on that Dan hadn't the ability to turn into a cat. Phil had almost been glad. Dan thought of himself as different enough already.

But no, there could be no doubts. This was Dan. It's stance, it's looks, the eyes that drew Phil into another dimension. It had to be him. That pull, that was why it was Dan. They wanted him to know it was Dan.

'Dan?' He whispered, reaching out to press a hand onto the glass. His hand clasped at the smooth surface, his fingers slipping down, dragging marks down the clear surface, distorting the image of the cat on the other side. 'Dan!' He tried again, slightly louder. The cat twisted its head to the source of the noise but made no other distinct reaction to it. No cat-like nod, no approach, no noise. Silence. Confusion.

Phil jolted away as the bell rang loudly, two strikes, the mark that the next half an hour had come. It seemed had an implied order too because as Phil looked back to the exhibit, there was Dan, dressed in a loose fitting top and pants, made to show off his tail.

Phil's eyes widened as he ran back to the glass, pressing both palms flat against it, ignoring the patronising signs stating 'please do not touch the enclosure's walls'. 'Dan!' He called out, quiet enough to not draw attention bar from the one man standing on his left who walked away with a sigh from the madman on his right. 'Dan, you're here. You're really here.' He rasped, knocking on the glass. Dan just trembled, a look of confusion evident on his face.

'Phil?' He whispered. Only then did Phil understand. The glass, he couldn't hear a word. He could see the movement of Dan's lips, the boy was speaking but no sound but a muffled, monotonous tone came through.

Of course, what was Phil thinking? That he could come to the park and just take Dan away? What had been his plan since the beginning? Phil had come here with a heavy heart and a heavier burden on his back, expecting it to be lifted when Dan was in his sights.

He only felt the load weigh heavier.

'Dan.' He mouthed, as clearly as possible. 'Are you okay?' That was all he had to know. With that, he could feel better, even if only for a little while. Dan, after a little time watching Phil's lips move in an irregular pattern, seemed to understand Phil's words.

He only replied with a shrug.

Phil shrunk. Dan wasn't okay. Dan was trapped. Dan had been taken. Dan...he wasn't human anymore. Someone is only human if they're treated that way. Dan was not. Dan was an animal to them.

Dan was an animal to everyone.

Except for Phil.

Phil took in a shaky breath and bashed his hand against the glass. Maybe, if he hit hard enough, the glass would break. He bashed it again, the noise reverberating around the wall, scaring off a few young children and their parents.

'Phil stop!' Dan shouted from the other side, Phil could barely comprehend the muffled cries. He didn't want to. He was blinded by a wash of anger. He hadn't felt this before, this tearing at his heart that wanted only wished for one thing.

Revenge.

Without a purpose, anger is nothing more than revenge. The anger is pointless and incurable. Not if Dan was still behind those walls, trapped in a see-through cage, taunted by the shadows on the other side.

Phil paused, his fisted palm falling to pieces just as he wished the glass to. He wanted it to crumble just as his life was crumbling. He wanted others to feel what he was feeling.

He had struggled through his life, unsure and lonely. He had never felt like this. He had fought through his life, determined and strong. How had he lost that? He had given up in his life, hopeless and dead. He felt this would only be the first of many instances.

Phil looked up, his eyes thick with tears refusing to be shed. Dan trembled on the other side of the glass, cowering from the man with the blue eyes- eyes of ice. 'Oh god, Dan, I'm sorry.' Phil realised as he pushed himself off the glass.

He hadn't just scared away a few children.

He had scared away Dan too.

'I didn't mean to angry, I'm sorry. It's just...' He didn't know what to finish with. What was he supposed to say? His emotions got the better of him? He felt too petty to speak the words aloud. He looked at Dan. Despite the fear, Dan looked controlled. Dan looked like he understood what happened and accepted that. Maybe that was for the best. Maybe fighting would only make it worse.

Dan nodded as if he understood. He didn't. He couldn't catch up with the rapid movements of Phil's lips. Dan hadn't heard a word. From inside here, all he heard were the echoes of sounds long forgotten. Dan could hear his own breathing, the sharp rise and falls of his chest as they pushed off the walls and back to him. Back and forth. Back and forth. A torturous swinging pendulum of sound.

Dan fought the urge to run when a gentle hand was laid on his shoulder. 'Dan, you can't go that close to the glass.' The girl murmured quietly. Accepting defeat and looking once more at Phil, Dan retreated into the harsh light of the centre where he could be seen much clearer.

He hissed at it, not that it did much, and sat down with a scowl, watching as Phil stumbled away into the shadows. One more glance. Phil ran away.

Phil's legs were jelly, threatening to fall from under him. Dan wasn't his, he realised. For the first time since he came the day before, he knew Dan wasn't his. He couldn't get Dan back. No one would understand.

Phil had been defeated by himself. Hope was a dangerous weapon: a bomb glued to the owner's hands. All it could do was hurt the one that possessed it. Phil had mistaken the consequences of that. He thought the explosion wouldn't hurt, that he could forgo his injuries.

That was until he had been blown to smithereens.

word count: 1080 

published: 02.09.17