Chapter 3: Part One

Diplomatic was not the way I would describe my first two visits to neighboring packs. After being forced to defend every decision I have made since taking my father's title, I had been on the defensive during both meetings. Clearly the other Alphas had preconceived notions about my leadership abilities. They didn't hesitate to make these beliefs known either, as they both stated in their own ways that I could not effectively take care of my people. They had both encouraged me to join my pack with their own. There was no way that was going to happen.

"How are things at the pack house?" I linked with Jonathan, who I had left behind to watch over the pack in my absence. I hadn't left my territory since becoming Alpha, and didn't like the uncertainly about my packs wellbeing that came with being away. So even though I could have used his guidance during these meetings, I had to leave him behind. Next to Rowan, he was the person I trusted most.

"Harley, everything is fine. You need to focus on your meetings," Jonathan scowled me in response. I knew he was right. The ways things were going, it was becoming very apparent that I would be lucky to get one pack in the area to align themselves with me. If all of the regions Alpha's doubted me, it would leave my people open to attack. I couldn't allow that to happen.

As we approached the third pack's house I was being forced to visit, I felt a shift within myself. My wolf was restless, and I knew that could only mean one thing.

"Rowan, stop the car," I demanded, gripping the door handle tightly. He looked at my like I had lost my mind before shaking his head, indicating he was ignoring my request.

"Stop the car, now," I growled, using my alpha tone. It left him with no choice but to relent to my command.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" He looked at me with raised eyebrows, confused with my outburst. 

"He's here," I whispered. I felt my chest tightening. My body felt like it had entered fight-of-flight mode, and I was ready to get as far away from here as possible.

"Again, what the hell are you talking about? You're acting crazy," he looked at me incredulously.

"My mate Rowan, he's here," I shook my head. This could not be happening right now. "We have to turn around, we can't let him know that I'm here. We will have to request for Alpha Taylor to visit our territory."

"We are literally halfway down the driveway Harley. You are an Alpha visiting a potential ally's territory. You can not run away like a little girl. You're supposed to be strong," my Beta reminded me. 

Logically, I knew his statement was true. I had a responsibility to my people that I couldn't neglect, but my body wasn't in tune with my mind at the moment. In fact, I felt like I was going to hyperventilate.

"I can't... do this," I gasped, frantically looking into his eyes. "Now, more than ever, my focus... has to be on pack. I don't have... time to deal with this."

He grabbed my face with his oversized hands, looking at me directly in the eyes, "Snap out of it. You can breakdown on the way home. Right now I, and our pack, need you to solidify an alliance. There's no guarantee you'll even run into you're mate, and if you do I will be there."

I simply nodded my head in agreement, allowing him to drive the car to the front of the pack house. He was right. I had to meet this Alpha and convince him that I was a strong ally. Before I could open my car door, the constriction in my chest tightened even further and my eyes were drawn toward the front door of the house. I squinted my eyes in an attempt to identify the wolf I would be avoiding for the remainder of my stay.

My eyes connected with Lincoln Taylor's, and I felt my body deflate like a popped balloon.

"Shit," I mumbled. Rowan followed my line of sight, realizing who I had been looking at and connecting the dots on his own.

"That would definitely be an accurate way to describe this situation," he said under his breathe before jumping out of the car and heading toward my passenger side door. Lincoln was quickly headed down the front steps of the pack house and to our vehicle. Rowan had granted me a shield by blocking the view of my window that gave me about ten seconds to collect myself before having to handle this situation. 

The issue was that this wasn't something that my position could fix, because Lincoln was the Alpha's son. The situation had just became so much more complicated than I had even imagined possible.

This wasn't some random stranger that I had never met. This was a man I had known for almost my entire life. I had known him as  both my fiercest competition and my greatest ally while at summer training camps; he had always been a constant figure in my life. That is, until I had become Alpha of my pack and effectively cut off all communications with people outside my territory. 

I needed to be on equal ground when he arrived, because I couldn't let him try to overpower me. He was too charismatic and kind. I knew if I didn't have my guard up I wouldn't be able to resist my pull to him.

He was only a few inches taller than me, but I could tell that over the past two years he had bulked up. That was probably the result of increased training. I knew his father was getting older and that he would soon be taking control of this pack. He definitely wasn't the scruffy boy I remembered him as.

I let myself freak out for five seconds before I forced my face to harden. I let Rowan know through our mind link that  I was ready for him to open my door. This allowed me to be standing when Lincoln reached me.

"Mate," he breathed out, a smile encompassing his face. My heart broke just a little, involuntarily, as I nodded to him sharply in reply. I didn't have the luxury of being able to jump into my mate's arms and run off into the sunset. I had a pack full of people that relied on me to think about. I didn't have to option to be selfish.

"Hello Lincoln," I stated simply, with no emotion showing on my features.

-----------

Here's another look at Harley!

Same thing as always: 10 votes + 5 comments = early update :)