Chapter 25

Over the past couple years, I've come to realize that there is a noticeable shift just before an important decision is made. The day that I formally accepted the position of Alpha was the first time I experienced this feeling; the air had felt charged with energy, my chest tight with anticipation, and my hands shook slightly. It was as if the universe knew that my world was about to change. 

I was having the same sensations now. Waiting in anticipation for Jackson's new demands, I intertwined my hands and placed them in my lab in an attempt to hide their trembling. Through my peripheral, I could see that Lincoln was struggling to remain silent. 

Wyatt had placed a firm hand on his shoulder. "We are only spectators here, it is not your place to debate the details of their agreement," he whispered to his future Alpha. Lincoln let out a low growl and shook Wyatt's hand off of him, and Jackson's brother shot him a deathly glare in response. It was a warning, but it was not likely to deter my mate from intervening when he saw fit. 

Closing my eyes, I took a few seconds to clear my head. There was no time to focus on anything other than the person in front of me, and what he had to offer to my pack. I made eye contact with him and kept my voice level, "What's changed since the last time that we talked other than the fact that I found my mate?"

"Other than?" Jackson laughed, shaking his head. After calming down he continued, "Harley that's a huge development, and it could make this alliance a major risk for my pack."

Rubbing my hands over my face in mild frustration, I sighed, "So what am I going to have to do to make relief your concerns?"

I saw Jackson's eyes shift in Lincoln's direction as if he was gauging how he was feeling before laying out his demands. His brother took a step forward from his position behind him, effectively forming a barrier between my mate and Jackson. 

"I say this because, in the end, I would like for all of us to come out on top, but I know that you're not going to like what I'm going to say regardless of that fact," he ran one of his hands over the scruff on his chin. For a moment he looked conflicted, but as quickly as the emotion appeared on his face, it disappeared. "There are two conditions that I would not be willing to negotiate if you were to agree to align with me."

My brain started working overtime trying to figure out what he could possibly want to change about the agreement he had already presented to me. In an attempt to put him off balance like he had done to me, I pushed my hair back behind my shoulders and looked him in the eye, "Before we continue I would like your Beta to leave. I'm here alone to prove that I trust you have no ill intentions toward me, and I would appreciate it if you showed me the same respect."

"And him?" Jackson looked toward Wyatt with his eyebrows raised. It was a fair question because there was really no reason for either Lincoln or Wyatt to be present for the discussion, but I had not considered the downside to Wyatt leaving as well. 

I looked at Lincoln with a serious expression on my face but opted to communicate with him using our mind link, "If he leaves and I allow you to stay, you can't do anything crazy. This is an opportunity that I have to take advantage of, not only for my pack but for us." 

He took a second before nodding with a clenched jaw. After sharing his own silent communication with Wyatt, his future Beta stood and walked to the exit of my office. He was followed by Jackson's brother. When the door closed behind the two males, only the three of us remained. 

"I'm done with the stalling, tell me your conditions," my tone surprised Jackson, but a small smile made its way onto his face. As I had noticed with Lincoln, it seemed as though Jackson was gradually gaining respect for me.