Chapter 23: Part One

"Harley, you're not listening to me," my dad sounded exasperated while huffing out a breath of air and throwing his hands up in frustration. Jonathan was sitting in the chair adjacent to my father's with his head down, clearly trying to keep out of the argument that was occurring before him.

As I stood in front of my father's desk with my hands on my hips I let out a huff of my own, "No dad, you're the one who's not listening. I'm not going back to the summer training, and there's not reason for us to pretend that I'm ever going to be able to hold the position of Alpha."

For a few minutes we didn't speak, instead choosing to stare each other down and see who would relent first. My father and I were both stubborn people, and this was a matter where neither of us was willing to budge. Last summer the elders had tried to tear me both physically and emotionally, and then Lincoln kissing me had left me feeling extremely confused. It caused me to question what my future would look like as an Alpha, and what that would mean for a realtionship with a mate.

There was no way I was going to subject myself to another summer of fighting not only other people but the negative opinions that almost everyone had towards me. Add that to the fact that it would be nearly impossible avoid Lincoln since he's the person I spar with every day, and I was more than ready to avoid summer training at all costs. Everything had culminated into me realizing that there were too many obstacles in the way of me taking power, and I didn't understand why my father couldn't just pick one of the males to replace him when the time came.

This was not the first time this topic had come up this year, but it had been put off ever since scents had been picked up at our southern border. My father's attention had been focused on the possibility of attack, not whether or not his daughter would submit to his commands. He has assumed that I would give in to his orders, but there was no way that I was going down without a fight.

Jonathan glanced up at my father with a conflicted expression on his face. He seemed to fight himself before deciding to interject himself into the conversation, "Lawrence, this is something that can be discussed-"

"This is my life, not a negotiation!" I shouted while twisted my face into an annoyed expression. Although Jonathan meant well, his statement hit a nerve. Almost every decision made about my life was not my own, and I was tired of not having a say.

A growl came from my father's chest as he stood up from his chair and slammed his hands against his desk, "Your life has never belonged you alone, and neither has mine. That's part of the responsibility that comes with your bloodline. Do not be selfish and harm your people just because you are scared of the conflict that comes with your attendance at training."

"Don't you get it?" I walked forward and placed my hands over his, lowering my voice to its normal level. Trying a different approach, I gave a logical argument in an attempt to explain my point, "Even if I become Alpha of this pack, I will never be respected like you are. What happens when I find my mate or get pregnant? Dad, I won't be able to lead the same way you or another male would be able to, there are too many variables working against me."

A sudden knock on the office door caused me to turn and face it. Seconds later Rowan walked in with a confused expression on his face, "You called for me, Alpha Davis?"

My head swirled back to my father, who was pointedly ignoring my questioning eyes. Frustrated, I decided to gauge Jonathan's expression and found that he was wearing a small knowing grin on his face.

"Rowan, what would you think if I told you that Harley didn't think she'd be a good Alpha? She seems to think that there would be an issue with respect and that she'd be limited if she ever finds her mate," My dad's booming voice filled the room.