Chapter 10: Part One

With every step toward Rowan's room, my anger had grown. His disagreement with my choices wasn't a crime, but the way he had expressed his discontentment was uncalled for. I knew that Jonathan had said he'd talk to him, but that wasn't enough for me. My closed fist pounded loudly on my Beta's door, the noise bounced off the hallway walls.

Leila opened the door with an annoyed look on her face, "About time you get here. I don't know what in the world happened between the two of you, but I am done dealing with his piss poor attitude."

I pulled her into my arms and gave her a firm hug, a chuckle escaping my lips in the process. She was a reality check if there ever was one, and I appreciated that she didn't just let Rowan or myself get away with childish behavior.

I pulled back, but kept my hands wrapped around her arms so I could get a good look at her. Her blonde hair had a soft wave to it, and her face was bare of makeup. She was beautiful inside and out, and I was so happy when Rowan discovered she was his mate. They truly were a perfect match for one another, just like the goddess had intended.

The trait that made her so special to me though, was how she never let herself be treated any less than she deserved. It was important to me that the females in my pack felt empowered. They didn't have to accept being treated as less than just because that was what our society expected of them. That being said, the males of my pack knew better than to disrespect the women. Part of the reason we were flourishing was because we all worked in harmony with one another.

"Trust me, this one is on him. Allow me to set him straight," I let my hands fall from her arms and walked into their room.

I found Rowan seated at his desk. I had a matching one in my room; it allowed us to get work done without being in my main office. Admittedly his desktop was a lot messier than mine, but he had always had issues with being organized.

I stopped about ten feet away from him and cleared my throat. I couldn't read his expression because his back was facing me. My disruption caused him to look in my direction, and I immediately could tell that he was furious. I had expected as much, so I wasn't surprised.

"I'm going to give you about 30 seconds to apologize for your actions before I put you in your place," I calmly warned him. As angry as I was, I didn't want to play my hand too early. If he apologized now I wouldn't take this any further.

"Listen, I've already heard this from Jonathan," his words were clipped, and he threw his hands in the air in annoyance.

"Wrong answer Rowan. I'll give you one more try," I walked closer to him. "Leila doesn't deserve this."

"Don't bring her into this," he snapped. He pushed himself away from the desk and walked towards me. Once he was in front of me, he bent down so we were at eye level with each other. "I can't even look at you without wanting to explode. You chastising me isn't going to make me submit to you, not right now."

"Okay then, I'll meet you outside the house in about a half hour," I replied before walking back to the door, where Leila had remained. There was no use in continuing a discussion with him when he was like this.

"I guess I'll be seeing you soon?" she looked at me with her eyebrows raised and a look of amusement covering her face.

"Trust me, by the time I'm done with him he'll need you to play nurse to make his boo-boos go away," I winked at her before walking across the hall to my own room. I needed to change into some old clothes before I went outside.

This wasn't the first time Rowan and I had been forced to resolve a dispute in this way. I was sure it wouldn't be the last time either. I knew from the past that this wouldn't be a fight in our human forms, so I didn't want to be wearing anything I cared about.

My need to assert my dominance was best suited for my wolf form, because it was the most effective way to prove to him that I was the one in control. He'd soon be reminded that although he was entitled to his opinions, sometimes it was better to think before he let them known.

-

As I waited outside, pack members started to file out and stand around me. Clearly, Leila had spread the word that Rowan and I would be fighting. This was an opportunity to remind the pack why I was in charge after a day full of surprises that may be causing them to question me, just like my Beta was.

The pack members knew that fighting wasn't allowed unless it was permitted by me. I didn't give permission often, because I believe that most disagreements can be sorted out by discussing the problem.

This was not one of those times.

I spotted Lincoln and Wyatt in the crowd. Lincoln was fidgeting from side to side with an annoyed look on his face, but his companion appeared to be pushing himself through the crowd to get a better view with an amused smile. I turned from them quickly, not wanted to risk becoming distracted before the fight.

Rowan walked out of the house and towards me. Once he entered the area we'd be fighting in the crowd closed behind him. They had formed a barrier that contained the two of us, yet gave us enough room for what was about to happen. A quiet hush fell over the crowd.

I shifted first. My brown wolf was large by female standards, but average sized compared to that of a male. I growled at Rowan's human form, causing him to transform as well. Average sized was not the way I would describe his black wolf; he was massive. This wasn't my first rodeo though, and the size difference didn't intimidate me.

We circled each other. Both of us knew the other's fighting style like the back of our own hand. This would come down to stamina and wit. His anger caused him to rush his actions, and he jumped forward trying to scratch my face with his outstretched paw.

I ducked down to avoid the contact, but the move left me open to his second advance. His teeth got ahold of my front leg and he clamped his jaw down tight, throwing his head side to side in an attempt to tear my flesh. I growled at his action and clamped my own jaw around the only thing I had access too, his shoulder.

I tightened my jaw and heard a bone crack before he let go of my leg and staggered back in a defensive position. There was blood gushing from his wound, and I jumped forward in an attempt to pin him. While I was in the air his giant paw caught me and sent me sailing in the opposite direction.

My body landed close to the crowds edge with a loud thud. The air left my lungs, and I was having difficulty getting back on my feet.

As I struggled, Rowan started moving toward me with determination in his eyes. He was ready to end this, and I wasn't able to get up to defend myself.

-----
Uh-oh, what do you think is going to happen?

Part 2 will be up soon, sometime within the next day or so! I want it to be perfect before I post it.

Much love <3