Chapter 19

The next day I opted to work from my room, eliminating the possibility that my pack members would see the gruesome bruises that wound around my neck. More specifically, I didn't want Rowan to see them because I knew that he was already worried enough about Malcolm's visit. My injuries would just increase any anger or frustration he was harboring toward the other Alpha, and the last thing I needed was for him to do something rash. 

I had tossed and turned all night long. It was difficult for my to interpret Malcolm's actions during the second half of our discussion because his demeanor had shifted so quickly. The possibility that he was attempting to deceive me was very concerning. Despite our increasing pack size, the number of members that were of fighting age was smaller than that of Malcolm's pack. Any attack would be potentially catastrophic if I didn't confirm an alliance. 

Before anyone was awake this morning I had brought my most important work from my office to my bedroom so that I could still be productive. Both Jonathan and Rowan had already come by to check on me, and I did my best to reassure them that I was fine through the mind link. 

I looked down at the scattered papers in front of me. There were so many things that I needed to do, but the first priority was to select several members of the pack to help with the increased border patrol schedule that Rowan was working on. Mentally, I scanned through my catalog of members in an attempt to figure out who would be a good fit for the job. 

A knock on my door caused me to nearly jump out of my seat. "Unless there's something going on that needs my immediate attention, I am busy right now," I called to the visitor.

"Harley, I need to talk to you," I heard Leila's voice call back. I squinted my eyes toward the door in suspicion. In the past Leila almost always communicated with me through the link, and if there was something serious going on she would have gone straight to Rowan. 

"About what?" 

There was a pause before Leila responded, one that lasted a second too long for my liking. By the time she answered it wouldn't have mattered what she said. I knew that Rowan was feeding her lines in an attempt to get me to open the door. Frustrated, I stood from my desk and walked to the entrance of my room. Forcefully opening the door I was confronted with a guilty looking Leila and a brooding Rowan. 

Leila quickly registered the anger on my face and tried to explain, "Harley, we're worried about you. Rowan has been worried sick."

"Worried? More like pissed, and what the hell happened to your neck?" Surprise filtered into his tone as Rowan pushed past his mate and lifted my chin to examine my injuries from the previous night. 

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in an attempt to keep my anger under control, "Get your hands off of me, Rowan."

His hand dropped, and when I opened my eyes I found my Beta rubbing his temples with his fingertips, "I knew that something was wrong. I knew it and nobody would listen to me."

Everyone was quiet for a moment before I felt Leila's cool fingers touch the purple bruises. I flinched involuntarily and she instantly stepped back. When I looked at her moments later, her eyes were filled with unshed tears. 

"Is this the reason why you stayed up here?" She whispered. Guilt filled my body for a fleeting instant as I looked between the two people before me. They cared about me, and I had intentionally kept them in the dark about what had happened the night before. 

"It's seriously not even an issue, it doesn't hurt. The only thing that's bothering me is the fact that I'm exhausted, and my head is killing me. It's okay for me to take a day for myself, I'm still working on things related to the pack," I attempted to defend myself.