Chapter 3: Part Two

Confusion flashed across his face at my emotionless response. My wolf whimpered at the hurt we had caused him. She knew better than anyone the weight of the obligation I bore, but that didn't stop her from longing for Lincoln's wolf. 

He reached forward in an attempt to touch my arm, but Rowan moved his body in front of mine and grabbed his arm to block the attempted contact. 

"Back up man," Rowan growled, looking Lincoln up and down. Lincoln returned the favor. His green eyes seemed full of anger while examining the man who had come between us.

"Can you keep him here if I go into the pack house?" I quickly asked, needing to remove myself from the area as soon as possible. The only indication that Rowan had received my message was a slight nod of his head. He clearly didn't want to give Lincoln any indication that we were silently communicating. I sharply turned toward the house and jogged towards the front steps.

"Wait! Harley, where are you going?" Lincoln furrowed his eyebrows. Against my better judgment, I turned back towards Lincoln and looked him in the eye. He roughly shoved Rowan's hand from his arm before taking a step in my direction.

"I'm here for a meeting with your father, so that's where I'm going," I stated, my voice low and once again void of emotion.

I wasn't happy that I was having to walk away from the person who was designed for me. I was hurting too, but I couldn't let that show on my face. It was already apparent that everyone in the region thought me to be weak. Falling into the arms of my mate wouldn't help my pack, or my image. 

As I turned back around and continued my walk into the pack house, I heard body hit body. Quickly peaking back over my shoulder I saw Rowan and Lincoln. They were both grunting and their arms were tangled as each tried to gain leverage over the other. 

I shut the front door behind me and leaned against it, breathing out a deep sigh.  I had shut off my mind link with everyone except Rowan the instant I knew my mate was near, because I didn't want anyone to know. I wasn't naive though, and was sure that Lincoln had already informed his father that he had found his mate via their own mind link. I heard someone clear their throat and looked up to see Alpha Taylor looking at me, head tilted with a small smirk appearing on his face. 

"Tough day?" He chuckled. 

"Let's not pretend like this is going to be pleasant Malcolm," I grunted standing up straight. "All I ask is that you keep your son away from me until we've discussed the topics originally intended for this meeting."

"Of course, that can certainly be arranged," he agreed, indicating for me to follow him as he headed to where I presumed his office was located. Even though I had known Lincoln for years, we hadn't ever visited each other's territories. 

Our interactions were limited to the summers we spent training. We were often paired together, because the elders of both of our packs thought we would come to power around the same time. The closeness of our ages hadn't mattered though. My father's death sped up my ascension into power. Lincoln, however, was still waiting for his opportunity to lead. 

I looked around Alpha Taylor's office as we entered it. It was traditional, which I expected; full of historical books and maps of his territory. My office looked very similar, but not because I had designed it that way. I took a seat in the chair that sat across from his desk, and waited for him to begin our discussion. 

"So, Harley I'm just going to cut right to the chase. I don't like that I've been kept in the dark the past two years regarding your pack. It makes me wonder what you're trying to hide. I can only assume that means your numbers are low, or that you are trying to handle rebellion amongst your people. It must be hard for you to handle them, with no male to help you," he looked at me intensely. I closed my eyes and collected myself. My wolf did not take his accusations lightly, but losing control at this moment would not be beneficial for my pack.

"Quite frankly Malcolm, I didn't disclose the details of my pack over the past two years because I wasn't concerned with outsider's opinions about how I was leading," I snapped in response.

"I mean no disrespect. I'm just trying to figure out why I should be with you instead of against you. I heard the other Alphas are having similar issues," he placed his forearms on his desk and leaned over them. 

"My pack is in excellent shape. Our birth rate has doubled since I came into power. Our numbers have grown to over 300 pack members. There is so discourse in my ranks. I have worked hard to gain the respect of every single person in my pack," I explained, attempting to show him that I was a worthy ally.

"That's fantastic, but I'm still concerned about the lack of a male fig-"

"I think you should strongly consider not finishing that sentence," I growled out. He was testing my ability to control myself. I was tired of hearing everybody tell me that I wasn't good enough on my own. It wasn't ever an issue for a male alpha to lead before they found their mate, and there shouldn't be a difference for me. 

"I am strong enough to serve in the capacity of Alpha and Luna for my pack. That is a feat that most male Alpha's can't say they have accomplished, including yourself." 

Malcolm looked me up and down before sitting in silence for what felt like minutes. 

"Harley, there's a very upset male headed your way," Rowan alerted me, and just in time considered the fact that the office door slammed open just as I received his warning.  Lincoln looked like he had been involved in a struggle, which didn't surprise me considering the fact that Rowan had pledged to keep my mate away from me in the event that we met. Before I could even acknowledge his presence, his father started speaking. 

"Harley, I'm sorry but  I can't afford to put my pack in jeopardy by aligning with you right now. You're too young, and even though you are strong you aren't a male. It doesn't follow the natural order of our kind that you are in the position that you are in. Now, it would make perfect sense for you and your members to join this pack. Especially since Lincoln is your mate and could provide the male figure that you are so desperately missing," he bargained. 

I had known it would come to this, to an alpha using my mate bond as leverage to gain control over my territory. I looked Lincoln in the eye before replying, "If having a mate makes me subject to this treatment, I don't want one. My people are my first priority. If you two can't respect that fact, than you won't have to worry about seeing me ever again," I pushed myself up from my chair and attempted to exit the room. Lincoln blocked the door, and I looked at this face in frustration.

"Harley, I don't want your territory," his voice was filled with disappointment, "Hell, I don't even want to mate with you right now if it's not what you want. Don't do this though, don't leave angry." 

I shook my head, feeling tears begin to built up and a lump form in my throat, before shoving him out of the way with my shoulder. Did he not understand that he was the least of my concerns right now? My pack's last opportunity to have an ally in this region was just taken away from them because of me. 

"This," I pointed my finger between the two of us, my voice filled with frustration, "is the least of my worries at the moment." 

I let Rowan know that it was time to leave. Sparing one more glance at Malcolm, a low growl emitting from my chest as I exited the pack house. 

________________________________________________________________________________

YAY CHAPTER 3 IS DONE!

How do you feel about Alpha Taylor's comments to Harley?

10 votes + 10 comments = early update :)