Chapter 6: The Final Fight

Go Merlin! Show Karayan who's boss!!!
Above picture is Merlin getting ready for a fight.
Summary: Merlin makes it home, only to learn that he must fight Karayan if he ever hopes to marry Rose.

     Merlin and Arthur were nearing the end of their journey. Three days remained when they stopped to rest, nearing the archipelago where Paradise rested.
     It was at this point, when they were making camp, that Arthur finally revealed the truth.
     "You were right, Merlin."
     "About what?" Merlin asked in surprise.
     "I lost someone I cared about and ever since, I've been...well..."
     "A prat?"
     "Merlin!"
     "Sorry."
     "But you're right. I have been."
     "What happened?"
     "About a year ago, I was in love with this beautiful girl. Yea I know. Strange, right? But it's true. Anyway, we were engaged to be married."
     "I'm guessing things didn't go according to plan."
     "No. Before we were to be married, my father died. I was so upset that I allowed vengeance to consume me. And my love, she couldn't stand to see me hurt myself that way so she moved away to live with her father. I can't say I blame her."
     "Who was she?"
     "Her name was Gwen."
     At this, Merlin gasped. Arthur looked at him in confusion. "Arthur, there's a girl in Paradise who moved there a year ago....and her name is Gwen. She's friends with my Rose." Arthur looked surprised at this. "When we get there, you could make amends with her."
     "Merlin, she would never forgive me."
     "She would. Arthur, she's about to be banished because she refuses to be married! If I can save Rose, you can save Gwen!"
     "Well, when you put it like that, I don't have much choice, do I?" He rolled his eyes, smiling. "Well, then, I say, we save the women we love."
     The next day, with only two days left until the end of the ceremony, Merlin and Arthur rushed into an oncoming storm. When Merlin came out the other end, he found that Arthur had disappeared. He feared the worst and his tears that were shed all through the night only strengthened that fact.
                         * * * * *
     Meanwhile, the island was in chaos! Although the Full Moon Marriage Ceremony was nearing its end and everyone was in complete bliss over their happy marriages, there was still trouble brewing and it was pretty obvious who was the cause of it- Karayan. It was only a matter of time before it all came to a head. That time was now. As dawn began to break over the mountains, Merlin raced onto the island of Paradise. Mordred and Callista were taking a morning walk on the island, when he arrived, and they were worried.
     "We're running out of time!" Mordred said. "Soon it'll be too late."
     "We need a miracle."
     "Well I'd say your miracle just arrived," a new voice announced.
     Mordred and Callista turned around to find Merlin had appeared on the island. He looked rough: his clothes were more torn, rumpled, and dirty than before, if that was even possible; his hair was messy and dirty; he was covered in dirt and grime; cuts, scrapes, and bruises covered him; and he looked like he could use a goodnight sleep. Still, despite his rough appearance, the two were exceedingly happy to see Merlin alive and....mostly well.
     "Merlin!" they both crowed, happily.
     "Thank goodness you're here!" Mordred said. "Bad things have been happening lately. Rose has disappeared."
     "What? What happened?"
     "Karayan kidnapped her!" Callista answered. "You have to hurry and save her!"
     "Kidnapped? What's Karayan thinking? He can't force Rose to marry him!"
     "That doesn't mean he won't try." Mordred replied, solemnly.
     Merlin's expression turned angry. "He won't succeed. I'll be sure of it." Suddenly, he turned. "Where's Elsa and Gwen?"
     "Gwen tried to rescue Rose and Karayan took her too. Elsa is with Damen."
     "Well we need to find them. We'll need all the help we can get."
     Within a few moments, Elsa and Damen had joined Merlin, Mordred, and Callista as the group then proceeded to make their way to Karayan's castle.
     Meanwhile, Karayan, Rose, Gwen, Nimueh, Sophia, Vivian, Morgana, and Morgause were gathered in Karayan's throne room. The twins were perched on the balcony railing, sitting with their legs crossed on either side. Gwen was tied up while Karayan was holding Rose so she couldn't escape. Nimueh, Sophia, and Vivian were pacing, the two blonde women arguing with Karayan and Nimueh while the twins looked on from the perch with boredom.
     "I don't feel right about this! Trying to win over the girl is one thing but kidnapping, that is just way  too far!" Vivian yelled, in her most stuck-up voice.
     "There will be serious repercussions for this, I'm sure of it! The gods will not take this crime lightly!" Sophia added, her sass showing.
     "Silence!" Karayan cut in. "I never thought you two would grow a conscience! Besides, it matters not! Rose is mine!"
     "Never!" Rose yelled. "I'll never marry you!"
     "But, precious, you'll only end up dead!"
     With that, Karayan grabbed Rose, tossed her over his shoulder, and began to walk off, down the stairs, toward the beach, when Merlin suddenly appeared, shouting, "Get your filthy hands off my girl!"
     Karayan turned around and saw Merlin standing there, looking tired and dirty but he had an angry look on his face that made it obvious that he would fight as hard and as long as it took to get Rose back.
     "Merlin!" Rose cried with joy at seeing her true love alive and so close to her once again.
     "Merlin!" Karayan called, faking the same excitement as Rose had so genuinely offered. "We thought you were dead!" His fake smile turned to a snarl. "Now you're gonna wish that you were!" He turned and called, "Kill him!"
     Suddenly, some guards that were hiding in pillars on either side of the throne room appeared. Karayan grabbed up Rose once more and began to leave, calling his minions with him. However, at the last moment, Sophia and Vivian hung back. Quickly, they rushed forward and freed Gwen from her bonds.
     Karayan shrugged the girls off. "You two were always weak! I still have what's important! Nimueh, twins, come!"
     With that, Karayan, Rose, Nimueh, and the twins vanished, heading down the stairs. Meanwhile, the knights charged forward. Merlin, Mordred, Callista, Elsa, Damen, Gwen, Sophia, and Vivian formed a protective line. They charged at the same time as the guards, rushing forward to fight.
     They fought their way through the first line of guards and followed Karayan down the stairs. Karayan called more guards after the group, who split up to defeat the king once and for all. Damen rushed after the twins. He was the only one who knew they sided with the king only because he was holding their children hostage, something he'd done after murdering their husbands. The three of them headed into a secret passageway that led them to where their children were being held captive.
     Meanwhile, while Mordred, Callista, Elsa, Sophia, and Vivian were fighting guards and Damen and the twins were rescuing the twins' children, Merlin and Gwen ran after Karayan to stop him. Karayan saw them coming from far away.
     "You just won't give up, will you? You insufferable idiot! Here you will meet your demise!"
     With that, Karayan charged at Merlin. The two began to fight using magic, throwing magic at each other. Gwen assisted Merlin, lending him some of her strength, energy, and power but when Karayan's power was coupled with Nimueh's, the two didn't stand a chance. Rose had no way of stopping Karayan because she was still disoriented.
     Karayan suddenly barked, "Nimueh, secure the ladies. Merlin is mine!" Nimueh did as he asked. Karayan was about to seal Merlin's fate, shouting, "Now you die, boy!"
     Suddenly, a loud shout was heard, "I wouldn't count on that!"
     The entire party looked up as a familiar, blonde-haired figure appeared, standing framed in the sunlight of one of the many windows in the castle. "Arthur!" Merlin shouted in excitement. Arthur jumped from the windowsill, landing on one set of the stairs. "I thought you were dead!"
     Arthur smirked. "You can't get rid of me that easily!" He turned to Karayan. "Now, let's end this!"
     With that, the two men magicked up a pair of swords, swinging them as Karayan smirked himself. "Fools," he muttered, magicking up his own sword. The three began to fight. As the fight continued, it seemed that even though Merlin and Arthur outnumbered Karayan, the king was still managing to win the fight, mostly because his magic was stronger.
     Karayan thought he'd won but he was wrong. Rose and Gwen escaped their bonds while Nimueh was busy helping Karayan. With Rose, Merlin, Arthur, and Gwen's magic put together, they managed to throw Karayan down the stairs, to the cobblestone floor below. Nimueh screamed and raced to the bottom of the stairs. The two couples raced after her. Nimueh mourned over Karayan's dead body then turned on the couples. Merlin used his magic to create a lightning storm that destroyed her.
     With both villains destroyed, the group had to race to escape the crumbling castle. Along the way, they were grabbed up by three large dragons who carried them all the way to the beach. When they landed, Mordred and Callista, as well as Elsa and Damen, rushed off to hold one another. Morgana and Morgause rushed to hold their children. Sophia and Vivian rushed to their fathers. Rose, Merlin, Arthur, and Gwen rushed to the altar where a familiar face awaited.
     "Gaius!" Merlin and Arthur called, happily. "You're here?"
     "Indeed. And I brought some friends." He gestured over to the beach, where the two found all their old friends from the boat, watching them with smiles on their faces. "But now's not the time for reunions. We have two couples to be married."
     With that, Merlin turned to Rose and got down on one knee, saying, "Rose, I have always loved you. Just being on this journey proved that more than anything else ever could. Will you marry me?"
     "Did you ever doubt I would?"
     At that, Arthur turned to Gwen. "Gwen, could you ever hope to forgive me for being the biggest idiot ever?"
     "Of course. I believe it's time to finally get our happily ever after."
     The ceremony was a quick one. The two couples were happily married, thanks to Gaius. When it was over, the entire island watched the sun set, singing, once more, about the love they shared, while the couples all held each other, lovingly.

It means that I have one love forever
And one love all my own
A now and forever
And ever
With you

     As time passed, things changed. With the king dead, the island became a better place. The ceremony continued but now there was no threat of banishment if one chose not to marry. Some years after their marriages, all the couples had multitudes of children (especially Rose and Merlin, it seemed). The years were good to the group.  Gwen, Elsa, and Callista remained good friends with Rose and Arthur, Mordred, and Damen with Merlin. And good friends they all remained, all their days. Even the former allies of Karayan became somewhat of friends to the group, even if they weren't close friends, they never again tried to side with a villain.

     And so, in the end, Rose and Merlin proved that neither distance nor danger nor even an evil, tyrannical king could stand in the way of true love. A heart of true love was stronger than anything. And as you may expect, they all lived...

     Happily....

           Ever....

                 After....

The End!