Chapter One - Ashes to Ashes: 2009

Chapter One

                                                          Ashes to Ashes

                                                                  2009

Lately I’ve been having some wild dreams. Most start off normal and vivid, with me walking through David’s living room in nothing but sweatpants and a tank top on. But the dreams eventually spiral into a place where all I see is grey. The grey place is always dusty and dry, and it makes my lungs hurt and my eyes burn. The sky is the same shade of grey as the sandy ground below, which disorients me and makes me just want to curl up into a ball and cry. There’s never sunlight, and it’s difficult to tell what’s up from what’s down. In a way, the dream makes me feel as if I’m drowning in the dust, the heat, and the grey darkness. But I haven’t had one of those dreams in a while. Well, I don’t think I have.

Recently I’ve been having more dreams about David or strangers who speak quickly with no faces. Matthew has also been a frequent visitor in my dreams, as well as Nicholas and even Shana. Each time I dream of them I attempt to talk to them, but my voice becomes lost deep inside of my throat. It’s like some sort of lump stuck in throat I can’t seem cough up. They don’t notice, though. They usually keep talking, even if I don’t reply. I hate it so much. Talking is something I love to do, especially when it involves witty comments or sassy remarks. Yet I can’t, and I don’t know why.

When David, Matthew, or strangers visit me in my dreams, they talk to me like I’m some kind of child. Sometimes David will tell me to sleep, and sometimes Matthew will tell me to calm down. It drives me insane. I’m sick of the nightmares and the voices telling me to stop doing something. It’s hellish and infuriates me.

Today the dreams didn’t haunt me, yet the voices grew louder. Cold air nipped at my face and my right arm dully throbbed. It was annoying and constant, as well as the sounds that never ceased. The discomfort increased, little by little. I would have despised this if it weren’t for the fact that the aches were keeping the dreams away.

I slowly became aware of something touching my hand, startling me because I couldn’t see it. At first I thought I was in yet another dream, but this was different. It was so real. I could feel the pressure on my fingertips and sound that was becoming louder and clearer by the second. I had to see what was happening to my hand, worried something might be attacking me in my sleep. So I forced my eyes open, a seemingly impossible task to do because my eyelids were heavy. It was exhausting.

“Joanna.” My voice seemed to echo several times as I tried to see what was next to me.

For several seconds all I saw was this blob. It startled me to see something so close to me. But my vision began to become clearer as I blinked again and again, trying to rid all blurriness. I stared over at the dark figure, realizing it was actually a man’s figure standing beside me. Slowly, and with much effort, I began to see the details of the person.

David.

I opened my mouth to say something to him, which was incredibly difficult. Was this another nightmare? I swallowed hard and took a deep breath as I focused on him. “David?” I said in a voice so hoarse and quiet I was certain someone else had said it.

His eyes widened and, to my astonishment, he left me.

If I wasn’t so exhausted, I’d kick his butt for leaving me. I tried to sit up, but even moving my arms was nearly impossible. It was like moving over two hundred pounds of weight. Before I could try again I became aware of someone else being in the room.