Chapter Nineteen - Restless

Chapter Nineteen

                                                                      Restless

I’m lost. Not just in a figurative sense of being lost, but I’m physically lost. At some point I apparently made a wrong turn, ending up somewhere in Missouri when I should be close to Chicago, Illinois by now. Instead I was driving like a wild woman with a paper map in my lap and really crappy coffee in my hand. Buddy howled when I made another sharp turn, nearly throwing up both into the passenger door of the truck. I know what you’re thinking, “Why use a map? Why not a GPS?” Do you know how much money one of those things costs? At this point, however, it was tempting to stop and buy one, despite me being too cheap to even buy a meal.

Buddy howled again.

“Damn it!” I snapped when his howl made me spill some coffee on my leg. “Buddy, I swear we’ll stop soon.”

Another sharp turn and Buddy slammed into my side, causing all of my coffee to spill all over my car seat. I grumbled and fumbled for some napkins while Buddy hide underneath my feet, making it even more difficult to drive. At some point, amongst all of the chaos, I didn’t see an animal standing out in the middle of the road until it was too late.

Shriek!

I jerked the wheel of my truck to avoid the doe, causing me to nearly go off the road and into the ditch. I just avoided hitting the animal. My heart, hammering in my chest, was about to pop. I stopped on the side of the road and got out of the truck for some fresh air. Buddy hopped out and ran like a beast into the woods.

Crap.

“Buddy!” I shouted, leaning against my truck to catch my breath.

So tired. I shook my head and rubbed my eyes as if to rub away the exhaustion. I haven’t slept in over three days, or four? Has it been that long? I need coffee.

“Buddy! Get your furry little butt back here or I’ll just leave you!” I knew it was a lie, but it sounded threatening.

For a brief second, I thought I heard hiss. I looked around and jumped when a shadow moved, but it was just a branch. I sunk to the ground and pressed the back of my head to the front bumper of my truck. Even if I laid down right now, not that I would, I doubted I’d be able to sleep. I was too wired and jumpy to close my eyes. What I needed was a large cup of black coffee. It would solve everything. I looked down at my trembling hands and began to count how many cups I’ve already had. Judging by my inability to quick the shaking, probably too many.

“Joanna.”

I jumped at the sound of my name. It wasn’t because someone whispered it out here, but because I knew the voice. That voice died months ago.

I looked up with wide eyes and parted lips at the man standing next to me. David looked down at me with intense blue eyes and a slight scoff. Although I could see it was definitely David, he still looked off to me. It was difficult to see him in the dark, and he seemed almost blurry to me. “David?” I breathed.

“I think you’re falling apart, again,” he stated flatly, his arms crossing over his broad chest.

“How are you here?”

“I’m not. I’m dead, probably flying around heaven or something.”

My brows pushed together. “But how…?”

David crouched down next to me, his eyes almost harsh. I flinched away from him. “I already said, ‘You’re falling apart.’ You are spiraling out of control. Completely delusional.”