Chapter Two - Visiting Hours

Chapter Two

                                                        Visiting Hours

Chills ran up my fingertips and made the hairs of my arm stand straight up. I slowly was pulled from the black depths of my sleep and back into the cold room I’ve awoken in several times by now. How long was I out this time? A day? A week? I should have asked David how long I’ve been drifting in and out of whatever state I was in. Mentally, I thought I might have been out for maybe several hours. Yet, deep down, I knew it had been longer. How much longer?

The chills continued to make their way up my arms and my neck, making bumps rise wherever they touched. Something was off. I can’t explain what I was feeling, but I could tell something was wrong. It was almost like this icy air nipping at my head, brushing my mind. Was that possible? I wanted to swat off whatever was making my mind an icy cloud.

My fingers brushed the softness of the blanket on top of me. I inhaled the chemical air, only to smell something slightly different. It was sweet and fresh and familiar. Fruit? No, not that sweet. Air freshener? No, not that strong. Flowers? Yes, definitely flowers. The scent reminded me of the time I hid in a flowerbed when I was thirteen and had stolen a backpack full of chips and mini donuts. I wasn’t sure if the flowers smelled good or bad to me based on the memory. I decided it was good considering otherwise I’d smell the cleaners they use to sterilize everything.

I opened my eyes in search for the scent, only to see some figure sitting in the corner. At first I thought it was David because he had been sitting there every time I’ve woken up. But I realized the shape of the person was narrower and longer than his frame. My eyes roamed across the figure before I looked up at the face of the stranger. The face was long and narrow, with a straight nose and flat eyebrows hanging over a set of emerald green eyes. My eyes drifted up from the face and to the blonde hair styled to the side in a neat and orderly way. The person sat with their leg cross over their knee in a casual position while still somehow managing to not wrinkle their expensive, form-fitting grey suit.

Matthew.

I forgot all about the flowers and chills as I stared into his intense round eyes. It was so strange to see him sitting in a hospital room in his expensive outfit and businessman look in his eyes.

“Anna,” he spoke smoothly, reminding me of how the doctor spoke to me to keep me calm.

My mouth was dry again, making it difficult to form words at first. “You owe me at least ten thousand,” I said hoarsely as a smile began pulling at my lips.

His lips also pulled into a smile, but a different kind. It wasn’t humorous like mine was, but something else I couldn’t place. “I’ll be sure to put at least that amount into your account.”

I laughed, making a kind of raspy sound from having a dry throat. “Ugh, I’m thirsty.”

He placed both feet onto the hardwood below and stood up. “I can get the doctor or a nurse.”

Matthew wasn’t gone long before a nurse arrived with a plastic cup of water as well as a straw sticking out of it. She helped me sit up straighter before placing the straw between my dry lips. I took small sips until the water was gone. She said something about getting me more in half an hour.

When she left I turned my attention back to Matthew, who had been standing by the window during this awkward event. “Do you know how long I’ve been out since I was awake last time?” I asked him, though he wasn’t here when I had woken up the first few times.