Chapter Twenty - Pancakes and Farewells

Chapter Twenty

                                                             Pancakes and Farewells

Waking up felt just like it had when I broke free of my coma. My brain took a while to process anything at all. Moving my arm to brush the hair from my eyes was like lifting two hundred pounds over my head. My breathing was slow and steady, the most steady it has been in months. I even took notice of the even beating of my heart. It took longer to open my eyes than it did for me to brush the hair from my face. Did someone superglue my eyelids together? My sight was blurry for a long while after opening my eyes. I felt like I had been mummified at some point. My mouth was so dry, my tongue was like sandpaper against the roof of my mouth.

I sat up and tried to rub my sight clear, failing miserably at it. That’s when I noticed something shaped like a cup on the table beside me. Throwing caution to the wind, I grabbed it and swallowed the contents. Although it was just plain water, it was amazing. I was a sponge, soaking up all the water I could. I placed the empty glass beside me and stretched my incredibly stiff limbs out in front of me, groaning as my bones popped. How long have I been asleep?

The room was completely dark, except for the faint shine of a nightlight, making me think it might have been really late at night. I could barely think of the last thing I could remember. Currently I was underneath a thick amount of covers with my head against the softest pillow known to man. I managed to throw the heavy covers back, relieved to see I was still in my jeans and a t-shirt, and rolled my body off the bed made from the heavens.

Not my greatest idea.

My feet, still used to being immobile for hours, didn’t land on the floor right. My whole body fell to the ground like a sack of potatoes. It was by sheer luck I managed to miss the nightstand by inches. My arms were tangled underneath me while one leg still balanced on the edge of the bed. I groaned out of frustration.

The sound of the door swinging open startled me. I tried, but failed, to scramble to my feet.

“Damn, girl. You’re almost looking worse than the first time I saw you,” a soft voice whined as two icy hands grabbed my arms and yanked me to my feet.

It took a few second for my eyes to adjust to the faint lighting coming from the open bedroom door. When I finally could see, I made out the person who had helped me to my feet.

Lacey.

It had been forever since I had last seen her. When I first met Lacey she was working for Beth, one of Matthew’s friends. Lacey was turned by Beth because Beth really liked how Lacey was as a stylist and basically wanted her as her slave for eternity. What a shallow, selfish, and ridiculous reason to make someone live forever, right? I met Lacey when I was first brought to Matthew’s house. Lacey was given the task to fix me up and make me pretty after look looking like a cavewoman.

“Sleeping has definitely made you look better. You looked like you had been beaten and thrown into a dumpster. The bags under your eyes are practically gone, thanks to the cream.” Lacey poked under my eye and grimaced. “It’ll take a lot more cream to restore them.”

“Stop!” I smacked at her hands.

She pressed her bright pink lips together. “Still just as bitter as ever, hmm?”

“I’m sorry if I don’t like being kidnapped and waking up in a foreign place with someone poking my eyes.” I stepped back and smoothed out my hair. “You put cream on my eyes while I slept?”