Chapter Eleven - Guilty Pleasures

Chapter Eleven

                                                              Guilty Pleasures

I don’t know how long I sat on the couch for. One hour? Two? The guilt not only ate away my insides, but also my time. I barely managed to cover up my bruises with makeup before David came inside, his shoulders slumped and his eyes squinted with exhaustion. When he walked in it took him a minute or two to realize I was sitting in the dark. I didn’t have it in me to even act normal. I made out with Matthew, cheating on David, and currently have bruises underneath my sweater and jeans from getting my butt kicked by a man wanting me dead for three months.

Why couldn’t I just have normal problems? Give me the flu or something!

“Gah!” David gasped when he saw me move. “What’re you doing over there in the dark?”

I flipped my hair from my face and forced a smile. “Migraine. Bright lights bother me.”

He frowned. “I can call the doctor…? I hope the migraines don’t have to do with the accident…”

“No, no. It’s probably from watching too much television.” I awkwardly stood up and walked towards him. “How was work?”

He yawned as an answer. “Fine.”

“You should switch to working during the day. You’re not a night person.” Trust me, I know people who are.

David’s expression went blank as if someone just wiped his mind. “I can’t. I like nights,” he mumbled and blinked repeated.

Matthew. I had forgotten he reprogrammed David to work nightshifts. I’m going to have to force him to change David’s mind back to how it had been before. “You should get some rest.” I placed a hand on his stubbly cheek and kept the forced smile on my face.

David nodded and began to shuffle off into the other room.

I slumped against the back of the couch, completely overcome with guilt. I’m a liar and cheater. Here I was hoping for at least one good thing for me. I always used to think at least I’m not a cheater.

I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep tonight after everything that had happened, so I went and started my third pot of coffee. My neck was stiff and my shoulders ached as I waited for the slowest coffee pot in the world to make me some coffee. I kept having flashes go through my head of grey eyes, especially when I began massaging my shoulder. Usually a person would hug their loved ones and cry after nearly dying. What do I do? Kiss a vampire and then eat stale chips in the dark. The thought of Matthew made my thoughts of grey eyes fade. I hated the thoughts I was having about him. Hated them so much I wanted to punch something.

My nails dug into the palms of my hand as I remember the kiss. Why was it so different than what I’ve experienced before? I actually felt the kiss spread ice through my body. Was that normal when kissing a vampire? Part of me wished I had kissed another vampire before in order to compare the kisses. It has to be him being a vampire, right?

The coffee pot beeped at me, alerting me it was done. I grabbed a clean mug from the dishwasher and began pouring. Quickly I loaded about three or four tablespoons of sugar, knowing it was a deathly amount.

The kitchen door swung open, causing me to spill some of the coffee down my sweater. “Damn!” I shrieked when it soaked in my clothes.

David stood next to me, his expression tense. “Did you have anyone over tonight?” he questioned in a strained tone.