Part of Me -- Jasper Hale -- 15 (End)

I woke up not knowing where I was, but I kept my eyes closed. I heard birds chirping and sunlight on my face. My last memories rushed back to me and I felt an overwhelming amount of guilt. 

My eyes fluttered open when I felt lips pressed to my cheek, Jasper pecked my cheek and was sending me waves of calmness. We stared at each other for a few moments not saying anything. I could tell that he had been concerned about me, I had been about him. 

“Where are we? You’re not mad at me, are you? I mea-” Jasper cut me off by kissing me intensifying the calmness he was projecting. I assumed that was the point, I mean we didn’t have to pretend to date anymore. Or maybe - I hoped - he actually felt the way I felt for him. 

Most likely not, but I could hope.

“We are still in a hotel in Italy and I’m not mad, I’m so happy you are alive,” He kissed me again. This time it was more passionate than focused on calming me. 

I realized he actually did like me like I liked him. This was amazing and I was instantly ecstatic at the thought. “Wait! How am I not killing the humans here?” I asked a few minutes later. 

“Carlisle was able to get some blood into your system,” He replied. “We are suppose to meet with Aro in a little while before we can go back to America.”

“Okay,” I nodded. 

“CATHERINE!” Alice exclaimed, barging in before Jasper could get another word in. 

She gave me a tight hug with Gale following her who gave me a smile. Edward, Bella,Rosalie, Emmett, Esme, and Carlisle followed and Emmett didn’t hold back when he was giving me a hug. 

At noon, Carlisle made a point that we had to go to the Volturi castle before would could go back to America. 

We check out of the hotel and crammed in a dark car with heavily tinted windows. Edward and Bella had been released before me and I had learned that they were the ones who found me in the arena and returned me since the Volturi had to get all the corpses and limbs to burn. 

Quietly and avoiding drawing attention to ourselves, we slipped into the castle not daring to make contact with the sun and our skin. Despite the heat from the sun, we all wore dark hoodies and long pants. 

In the castle, we were lead to the chamber by Demetri. I held Jasper’s hand and he gave me a reassuring squeeze. He thought it was alright; he was the only one I trusted when it came to this situation. 

Somehow, after nearly being killed after a fight they caused, the Volturi didn’t seem that useful to me. I knew I would need to take a break to sort out my own priorities before I resumed my vampire lawyer duties. 

--------

6 months later, I had returned to my job as a vampire lawyer. Things were still slow, but that was partially because I lost my two biggest clients - Maria and Adam. 

Good riddance to them both!

I learned more about Jasper and I only grew to love him more despite the parts that he hated about himself. I had parts I hated, but Jasper assured me that I was perfect the way I was. 

It was five PM. Usually Jasper visited me by now. Or Alice. Or Rosalie. Or Esme and Carlisle. Where were all of them?

I check my phone to see if I missed an messages from them. Turns out that they were all out with errands. I shrugged, I usually stayed at their house, but the thought of being alone slightly bothered me after the last incident - where Adam and Maria kidnapped me. 

When six o’clock came around, I finished up all my documents, set up my office for tomorrow and checked my phone. They all hadn’t finished their errands yet. So I returned to their home hoping Jacob or Renesmee was there. Maybe I wouldn’t be alone. 

I walked up to my room and began reading a book when I felt two hands cover my eyes and I screamed. I heard a deep chuckled and recognized it was Jasper.

“You scared me!” I pouted. 

He let out another chuckled, “I’m sorry, ma’am.”

“I thought all of you were busy,” I told him.

“I was the first to get back,” He shrugged. “Stay here and close your eyes!”

“Why?” I asked.

“Please?” He used puppy dog eyes that he knew were too cute to resist.

“Fine,” I sighed agreeing to close my eyes.

I heard his footsteps exit the room and return a second later. “Keep your eyes closed,” He told me and I heard him sit on the bed. 

“Open,” He grinned. “Pick right or left.”

I opened my eyes to see him sitting next to me with his hands behind his back. I bit my lip thinking which side to choose, “Um... right?”

“You sure?” He asked. 

I nodded, “I’m sure.”

“Good,” He smiled.

“Why?” I questioned. 

I was speechless when he got down on one knee in front of me holding out a ring in a small velvet black box, “Catherine, I have only known you for about eight months, but I know you feel the same way about me, so will you marry me?” 

Still speechless I nodded and managed to squeak out a yes. He smiled, slid the ring on my finger and kissed me like the time in that hotel in Italy. It was in a way that was urgent - like he might not see me ever again - and passionate, true soul mates.

“You planned this didn’t you?” I accused after we stopped kissing.

He grinned like a devious child, “I suppose...” 

“Your lucky you’re cute,” I smirked. 

“Why?” 

“Because I would slap you,” I giggled. 

“That’s domestic abuse,” He told me. 

“You really are the only person who can beat me in arguing,” I rolled my eyes. 

“By marrying me, I’ve supplied you with the endless challenge of trying to beat me,” He grinned.

“You cheeky berk,” I said in my British accent. 

“My apologies ma’am, but I’m not just an idiot. I’m you’re idiot,” Jasper said with his southern drawl before kissing me again. 

END