Chapter 5

Harry

What on earth did I get myself into?

Sure, it's nice to have someone to travel with me so that I'm not alone, but this girl has got to take the cake for being one of the most frustrating people I have ever met. It's as if she has to plan every move she makes and overthink every decision she has. It's absolutely ridiculous. Why can't she just leave everything to chance?

Thankfully she fell asleep not too long after we got onto the highway, so it's been really nice and peaceful in the car. I've been able to actually hear myself think. And because of that, I thought about something that changed the course of this trip.

The girl has been passed out, so she can't argue with me. I'm also driving, so she kind of has no choice. And until she wakes up, I haven't had to deal with her yelling at me. I know that once she is up and aware of her surroundings, she will be in for quite the surprise, and as much as I know she will be pissed off, I can't wait to see her face.

Of course I'm set on getting to California, but I'm not necessarily in a rush to be there. This girl said she doesn't have a specific day to get to LA, so I don't see the harm in wanting to spend a few extra days traveling to cities I've never been to. It can be a lot of fun and it'll definitely make this trip ten times more interesting. I'm already feeling bored and this girl needs something to loosen her up a bit. What better way to enjoy this trip than to explore new places? The opportunity is right here at our hands, so why wouldn't we take it?

So as she has been fast asleep in the passenger's seat, her head resting against the window and the blanket covering half of her face, I've been driving towards Pennsylvania. 

Hershey, Pennsylvania to be exact.

I should be in this state by now anyway, as it's one that we pass through on our way to California, but I'm most certainly not on the highway that leads me in that direction.

I have never been to Hershey and the idea of stopping by seems very appealing. The place is, as I have heard people say, the Sweetest Place on Earth. I mean, it's pretty much the chocolate capital. What reason would there be to not want to visit it?

Hopefully this girl likes chocolate and isn't allergic to it because if she hates it or is deathly allergic, this pitstop will have been a bust. And I most certainly will not be happy about it.

But this girl sleeping next to me is definitely not going to be happy when she realizes we are far off course. I'll have to deal with her attitude when she wakes up, which will not be pleasant, so I must savor this peace and quiet while I have it.

And let's think rationally for a second. Sure, this might not be a good idea to drive off without consulting my travel partner, but if you were given the slight opportunity to go to Hershey, wouldn't you want to go? What harm is there in stopping by for a few hours? 

Without a doubt, this girl is going to be pissed off at me, especially when she finds out that I have no intentions of driving anywhere else until the next morning. Honestly, it's not going to kill her to have an unexpected overnight stay in Hershey. 

Expect the unexpected, as I like to say.

I'm sure once the idea of this pitstop settles in, she will be okay with it. At least, I hope she will. 

Movement coming from the passenger's seat interrupts my thoughts. I quickly glance towards the girl as she shifts underneath the blanket and lets out a soft groan. As her eyes open up, she stares at me for a long few seconds, and I begin to wonder if she's having one of those moments in which she's forgotten where she is. Thankfully, she seems to come to as she sits up in the seat.