Chapter 30

Felicity

In the twenty seconds that my phone has to ring, I contemplate whether or not I actually want to answer it. Seeing my mother's name written at the top makes me hesitate. Knowing that she called me several times last night, all of which went to my voicemail because I was too drunk to know I owned a phone, isn't making this current situation easier. I know I need to answer it because it's my mother, but the topic of our upcoming conversation is not one that I want to have right now. 

As I hold the phone in my hand, my thumb hovering over the answer and ignore buttons, all I seem to be able to do is stare at the screen. I can already accurately predict the way this conversation will play out. I'll answer the phone and my mother will scold me for having ignored her previous calls. She will give me a lecture on how irresponsible I'm being and how I shouldn't have a phone if I can't even use it to answer her. And then of course she will get mad at me again for not being in California. 

I already know what's going to happen. Do I really need to talk to her right now?

"Are you going to answer that?" Harry's voice pierces through my thoughts. He takes a peek over at me from his seat behind the wheel, a skeptical expression written all over his face. "Or are you just going to keep staring at it? If you are, I'd rather you silence the ringtone. It's really fucking obnoxious."

As my twenty-second ringtone comes to an end, I exhale a deep breath and tap on the green circle at the bottom of the screen.

"Erm," I clear my throat as my voice surprises me by coming out a bit hoarse. "Hello?"

"Felicity Jane!" The sound of my mother's angry voice travels through the phone and echoes in my ear. "I cannot believe you right now! You have some explaining to do!"

Sitting in the car with Harry as he listens to me get scolded by my mother is going to be the most embarrassing thing to happen in my life. He may only be able to hear one side of this conversation, but I would rather he not hear any of it. He's going to get his first taste of what it's like to deal with my mother. It will probably shock him. He didn't have the pleasure of listening to my conversation with her yesterday, so this will be interesting.

"I ... uh. What explaining?" I'm hesitant to speak. I have an idea of where this can go, but I'm also unsure of what she's going to say. I can't help but pick at the thin fabric of the blanket around my legs.

"Who is Harry? Why are you gallivanting around the country with some guy that is not Colton? Do you realize how bad this makes you look?" 

She's irate and she seems to be talking a mile a minute. The moment Harry's name left her mouth, I nearly lost track of everything else she had to say. How does she know his name? I didn't tell her yesterday. All I said was that I was traveling with Louis Tomlinson's friend.

"You should not be spending that much time with a guy that isn't your boyfriend. You told Colton you'd be in Los Angeles in three days, yet you've changed your mind last minute to be on some joyride with a stranger," my mother continues to speak, her voice growing angrier with each word that comes out. "What have your sleeping arrangements on this trip been so far? Have you been sleeping in separate rooms? I can't believe my child has grown up to be so irresponsible and foolish. I knew attending a college in the city would ruin your behavior."

The volume of my phone must be much louder than I think because by the look on Harry's face, it's safe to assume he can hear every word my mother says. He looks sad and upset, as if he's the one being scolded. I know he's doing his best not to listen in on my conversation, but with the tiny space we're in, it's hard to ignore. 

"Mom, you're asking so many questions. I can't keep track."

"I received a call from Colton yesterday. He's worried about you, Felicity. He hasn't seen you in a few months and he's patiently waiting for you to get there, but you seem to be having more fun with a random guy that isn't your boyfriend. Who's idea was it to travel with him? How could you not have known that it would put your relationship in jeopardy?"