Why Him?

I hung my head and sighed loudly. Cato's attention found me, and he smirked,

"Your my district partner?" He laughed, that made me angry.

"You have no idea what I'm capable of so...shut up." I snapped, he put on a fake hurt expression making his handsome features child-like.

"Ow, that hurt doll." He then let a small chuckle go, he was standing now and I rolled my eyes.

"Don't call me doll okay? I don't like it and I'm not letting you intimidate me.....you have no idea what I've been through." I snapped, at this he rolled his eyes.

"I don't care what you've been through....you shouldn't even be here." Cato's words hurt, I had every reason to be here.

He's testing you...

I told myself, I shook my head and walked toward the kitchen, Cato's words made me remember exactly why I was here.....

"River no!" I yelled, "You can't do that!" I hugged my older brother tightly.

"I'm going to....I'm eighteen and I haven't been chosen yet." He said, "the academy picks the star careers to go....its my turn Aromis." He brushed my hair lightly and kissed my forehead.

"River......I'm going into the academy if you die...I will prove myself." I informed, he smiled at me.

"Good....you show them what the Hawthorne's are made of."

Note: She's Gale's cousin, Katniss and Peeta won their games the year before this, the same year her brother got killed,  you'll learn about my story as we go....please don't hate me! >·<

"I don't know what your talking about because, I belong here... my brother, River, belonged here too." I said my voice going from normal to a low whisper.

"River? Your River's little sister?" Cato's tone changed insanely. It was soft now, and I turned to him.

"You knew River?" I asked, he looked back over his shoulder, and then pointed to a picture behind me on the wall.

"That answer your question?....aren't you the little brat tugging my arm?"  He asked, a chuckle hanging from his lips.

I'm a year younger then Cato, he's eighteen and I'm seventeen.

"I was forced to take that picture...I was aggravated, leave me alone." I informed as I looked at the picture. There was River at the age of seven, me at five, and Cato at six. I hadn't even known him then, all I knew was he was one of River's friends. That doesn't mean he's mine.... Wow...how could I not remember?

"Wow, how did I not recognize the jerk that pushed me into the pool!" I laughed, I was so mad that day..

"Smile sweetie!" Mom yelled, she was across the pool taking pictures, I posed. When the picture was over, a little blonde headed boy asked why I was wet.

"I'm not-" My words were stopped by me being pushed into the pool.

"Haha! Now you are brat!" His words made my blood boil. I got out of the pool and took off after him, catching his shirt in my small hand I slammed him to the ground.

"Don't ever touch me again!" I then threw my water filled shoes at him and walked away...

"I was so mad....didn't I slam you into the concrete around the pool?" I asked.

Cato laughed, "Yeah....you did, good luck slapping me around now though gorgeous." I felt my face heat up and I cursed under my breath. Cato thought it was amusing though, he stood and I watched as he walked into the kitchen. "So, what do you want?" He asked, which surprises me.

"Huh? Why? I'm sure I can fix something for myself..." I informed, his eyebrows borrowed together as he scrunched up his face.

"Me and River used to do this when he went here.....so, what do you want?" I looked around the kitchen as he watched me. I dug out noodles, sauce, and meat. Cato gave a small smile, "Just like River...that your favorite?" He asked. I nodded, maybe Cato wasn't that bad......

Through dinner Cato and I talked, he told me stories I didn't even know about my brother. He also informed me that the main person I need to be better then is Clove, she's the star career right now, all I have to do is out-rank her.

"I'll get the dishes...." I said as Cato finally finished.

"Thanks." He said, " Goodnight Aromis." I gave a small smile.

"Goodnight Cato...and, thanks. See you in the morning?" I asked, he smirked at me.

"Yep...sleep tight beautiful." Then, he walked into his room.

I washed the dishes in silence and hummed the Valley Song that Karniss Everdeen had sung when Rue died...that was sweat. I love the love story of her and Peeta....I'm surprised there hasn't been an uprising. As long as everything's okay though, I don't mind. I finally put the dishes up and walked over to the couch, it was still pretty early, its only 9:00. I sat on the couch and turned a movie on, I was intrigued at the ravinous dinosaurs in this movie. Wow! That would be something....what if dinosaurs were real? I laughed at the silly thought. Turning the Tv off, and fixing the couch pillows, I then walked to my room and finally lay down. Why him? Why Cato? Where do we stand? One moment Cato is ruthless and mean, the next he's all sweet and helpful. Err....why him?