Dinner

Cole's POV
Picture of Mason is above

"Cole," she said while looking at me with full of hope. Alpha Marcus smiled at me and left the two of us alone. He approached my father and casually talked for a bit.

We should talk to Alice after the dinner, my wolf speak to me.

I know, I said back.

I saw myself looking at Alice and her gorgeous eyes looking back into mine. After more than four years, it all came gushing back. It really hurts to see her. Would it hurt her to see me? I was so ecstatic to meet her, but I was scared as well. My hands were shaking. I kept feeling self-conscious around her.

Alice. She remained so much in my thoughts since she left. I feel like I might end up losing my mind. It's so hard to control my emotions.

I was interrupted from my trance when I heard my father cleared his throat.

"Shall we eat now?" My father questioned.

"Yes, of course Eddie," Luna Mary replied and clapped her hands together.

"Looks good," she said while surveying the meal. My father took a seat at the head table and we all seated. I took a seat in front of Alice. I think the past is best left well and truly alone. I closed my eyes while exhaling.

We started eating our food and had a few small talks. She was silent most of the time. I could feel the tension between us. I don't want us to end up like this, but I can't hide the fact that my feelings are really hurt since she left me. At some point, I could sense Alice looking at me and we would steal a few glances.

"Cole, I heard that you haven't found your mate until now," Alpha Marcus broke the silence.

"As an alpha, you need a luna to help you run this pack," he continued while pouring himself a glass of white wine.

"Yes, Alpha Marcus," I replied.

I'm really confused as to why my father and now, Alpha Marcus started talking about my mate.

Did they know the truth? I'd have to admit, my curiosity was burning holes through me.

"Your father and I think that it would be best if..."

If? What is he saying?

"You and Alice mated," my father interrupted. A sudden feeling of disbelief washed over my face. I instantly turned to look at him. His eyes looking straight into mine. I put my spoon down -- a little too harsh. I was beyond shocked.

What? I don't know whether I should be happy or mad about this.

Kyla..

I looked at Alice and she just kept her head down. Did she know about this?

"How about Alice's mate? He's still out there, right?!" I said bluntly.

I saw Luna Mary parting and closing her lips several times. She wanted to say something, but she seemed to hesitate for a while.

"Alice's mate is already dead," she finally admitted.

I feel sorry for her, but what about our mate? My wolf pointed out.

"I know that both of you like each other since you were kids. We can see it," my father spoke. It is true. I really need a moment to process everything in my head.

"Cole, why don't you take Alice outside? I need to discuss something with Alpha Marcus and Luna Mary."

I nodded silently and took Alice to my backyard. The heavy silence pervaded the chilly night air as we walked, apart from the crunching sound of the grasses underneath our feet. The moonlight shone on her face. The stars came out tonight, lighting up the sky. She smiled beautifully. We walked for a while and finally sat on a bench underneath a huge tree. Our legs and arms were almost touching.

"Cole, I'm really sorry for everything," she apologized. "I'm sorry that I left you without any explanations..."
"And I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the arrangement sooner," she added.

She stared at me in silence, waiting for my response. Her eyes were filled with sadness and pain. She shifted her gaze to the side. Her eyes were glazed with layer of tears.

"It's okay, Alice," I reassured. I gently wrapped my arms around her and she rested her head on my shoulder.

This is wrong, my wolf said. I ignored him.

I heaved a sigh and turned to face her. "Alice, why did you leave me? Why did you move to another country? Where were you? You could've left me a note or anything"

"I can't tell, Cole. I'm sorry. At least, not now," she explained, looking down.

I'm so mad that she won't tell me why. She just left me and vanished for four years like the world had just swallowed her whole. I was worried sick and depressed. Now, she's back and not giving me any explanations. I thought she loved me.

I quickly got up and started to walk away from her. She grabbed my hand and turned me to face her. "Please, Cole. I promise I'll explain everything to you."

"I still love you," she said lowly, looking at me in the eyes. I noticed her hands were trembling slightly and she seemed to be blinking back her tears. She tried to swallow away the lump in her throat.

The sadness in her eyes breaks me. I don't want to see her cry, but I'm also hurt. I ran a hand through my hair and let out a heavy sigh. What should I do?

"We can still work this out, right?! For us. Start everything over again. This isn't like how we used to be," she said.

We have a mate, my wolf reminded me.

"Yeah, maybe," I said to her, walking back inside. I need some time alone. The wind started to blow and a few drops of rain falling from the sky. I stopped in the middle of my track and turned around to see her still standing there.

"You'd better get inside. I don't want you to get sick." I continued walking and didn't look back.

**
"It is better to look ahead and prepare, rather than to look back and regret"
                                             -Jackie Joyner
                                                                    **