Prologue

It was a regular morning, light was filtering in through a small window to fall onto an even smaller body, which was tightly clutching a stuffed horse. As if in rebellion against the light the child snuggled deeper under the blankets bringing the horse with them, after a few moments of struggling they ended up with their butt in the air with only a few feathery wisps of hair and a horse's leg left sticking out from the blanket. They stayed in the funny position for ten more minutes, showing no signs of moving anytime soon.

A woman walked in and gently tried to wake the child up, but all she got in response was a lethargic groan, smiling in amusement the woman walked out of the room, but soon a delicious smell crept it's way into the room. The second the aroma made it's way under the cocoon of blankets the mass of fabric twitched. After a few uncertain moments a bleary eyed child dressed in a large, light blue shirt made it's way out of bed, only stumbling twice.

As it made it's way down the hall it shambled past a mirror hung on the wall paying it no notice. The reflection showed the same uninterested and sleep tired eyes that walked past it unseeing, they were a mix of playful greens and blues intermixed with flecks of frozen azure and dark starlight. These strange eyes were set on a small bone pale face framed by hair that was black as the space between stars. The child had delicate features, in some ways looking more elven than human, especially when their blood drop lips stood out so prominently against their pale skin and dark hair which reached down their back.

"Percy" called the woman, she was standing in a small, but not unpleasant grey and orange kitchen, pulling something out of the oven. As she lifted the tray it was obvious that the intoxicating smell originated from it, and the child knew that, as their sleep muddled steps quickened. The tray, oddly enough, held bright blue chocolate chip cookies. The child, whose name was reveled to be Percy, reached for some of the strange cookies and was about to grab a large handful of the burning hot treats, before the woman pulled the tray away setting it atop the fridge saying, "first get ready, then when they're cooled you can have ONE. Am I clear?" "Yes, Mom." Percy said dejectedly as they got up and started to stumble to their room to get dressed.

"Oh and Percy, remember this one is a boys only school, so make sure you change."

"I know, this is the third time I've done this."

Side note, when Percy's gender is not specified or they're being talked about in general I will be using a random pronoun, sorry.

Smiling and watching her child retreat back into their room, the woman whose name was Sylvia, or Sally, which she preferred, couldn't help but think, I wonder what her life would be life if she didn't have to worry about all the hate she could face if anyone found out about her genders. Sally knew from personal experience how difficult it was to grow up being different and desperately didn't want that for her child, yet Sally knew nothing could change Percy's reality.

Sally often wondered if it was due to her strange heritage or if it was a power unique to Percy but she had two genders. She could morph her body from male to female as easily as she breathed and mentally made no distinction between her physical forms. Sally was glad that Percy was accepting of herself no matter what others said but she still knew that keeping her secret weighed heavily on the six year old.

Interrupting Sally's train of thought was Percy as he walked, now more awake, back into the kitchen. He had changed his outfit, from the large night shirt into his new school's uniform. The uniform consisted of tailored black shorts, an ugly greenish grey short sleeved shirt and blocky black shoes. He had also changed his appearance, he now had slightly more masculine features, well as masculine as a six year old could get. He was still had very elven features but now he looked slightly less ethereal. The fact that he had tied back his hair helped as well.

He rapidly climbed from the floor, to the counter, to the top of the fridge, grabbing his bright blue prize and descending just as quickly. He broke the cookie in half stuffing one piece in his mouth and setting the other in with the rest of his lunch before grabbing the whole thing along with his school bag. Just as he was about to leave the small apartment his mother called out to him, "Percy, aren't you forgetting something?" Sally said dryly. "Oh! Sorry." Percy said before rushing over to give his mother a quick hug and have her kiss his forehead. "Bye Mom, I have to catch the bus! I love you, see you after school!" was all Sally heard before her child ran out the door.

She once again smiled to herself at his funny behavior but in her heart she whispered these words Be safe my child and may the Gods watch over you.

The pictures at the top are a mixture of what I imagine six year old Percy to look like. Again I do not own these pictures nor do I know whose they are, I just found them online, all rights go to the actual owners.