Chapter 8: Weird? You Haven't Seen Weird

The day after-

Percy's POV

I. Hate. Planes. They are flying death machines. No matter what Nat tells me I'm sure that one day gravity will reclaim their hold over the magic flying metal tubes. I understand how birds fly, they flap and that keeps them up, but planes. Planes just have heavy metal turbines and the desire of all their occupants to not die in a horrible fiery explosion, to keep them in the air.

Yet even with all of my knowledge of my probable death, here I am, sitting in a plane.

I make great life decisions. (Please note the sarcasm)

With every rattle and shake of the plane I just wait to be knocked out of the sky, especially after my mom told me about my not so nice, great uncle, Zeus. She told me about how he'd caused the plane crash which had resulted in my grandmother's death.

Apparently "The Big Three" (Poseidon, Zeus and Hades) aren't supposed to have more than one child every century, due to a rule which Zeus made (and constantly breaks). My mom had a brother less than twenty years before her birth, who had died, but still meant she wasn't supposed to exist. Since Zeus couldn't get to Poseidon for obvious reasons and my mom had been hidden from the eyes of the gods, he had decided to go after my grandma, a mortal.

And now I knew of the gods which meant it was easier for them to sense me, especially since I was a descendent of Poseidon in Zeus's domain. So I was sitting in a highly conductive metal tube just waiting to feel the shocking (pun intended) strike of electricity I knew was waiting for me.

Yet somehow we safely landed. The pilot even commented on how she'd "Never had such a smooth flight."

I wanted to smack her for that.

So after the surprisingly uneventful flight Natasha and I made our way to the hotel we were staying at. As always we checked in under aliases. For this trip we had decided to go by Alice Green and Haley Green-Henry, an aunt and her niece respectively.

Before we went in Nat made me change into my female form. I was young enough to pass for either gender but we wanted to be sure we weren't given any extra thought and sometimes just a few minor details could do that. So I pretended to drop something and slipped into an alley, shifted and returned holding the coin I'd pretended to lose. I'd done a similar routine so many times, I could and had done it with my eyes closed.

When we did get to the hotel we were greeted by a cheerful middle-aged and slightly greying woman. She asked us for our names and then lead us up to our room. We smiled and thanked her, but as soon as she was out of sight we went into operation mode, we picked the lock without making a sound and slid into the room. We did a search of the entire room for bugs of both kinds and any other nasty surprises. We found none, but we still set up selective jammers and EMPs, then stashed guns and ammo in useful places.

With our preliminary work done we finally relaxed. We had both been through the drill many times and had often actually found some of the nasty surprises we had searched for on our missions. This was because after an incident in Korea when we had gone to a supposed ally's supposed safe house, and nearly died several times we knew to do an in-depth search even when we thought we were safe.

"So Percy where do you want to go first?"

"Well since you only gave me a days notice I wasn't actually able to create an itinerary, however I can tell you the top places we need to visit at least once while we're here. Bergen, The Lofoten Islands, Oslo, Flam, The Geirangerfjord area, Tromso, The Alesund and Sunnmore area, Bodo, Kristiansand and most importantly The Borre mound cemetery."

I nearly squealed at the last one. I never squeal, I think it's silly and useless, however the Borre mound deserved a squeal. It was incredible, they had found hundreds of important artifacts and clues about the life of some of the most incredible warriors in history. If I could only visit one place during this entire trip, it would be the mounds.