Chapter 17: Level Nine

Picture Info- This is what the suit, which is mentioned later, looks like. The three big differences are, there is no yellow on the suit, it's almost completely black, there are fishlike fins on the arms legs and back, and there's no shoulder mounted weapon. I do not own the photo.

Natasha's POV

As I walked along the deck, I made note of each passing second, accounting not just for my movements, but Percy's as well. While I walked towards the couple to thank them, I estimated that Percy had reached the sub. By the time I returned to the captain, I was pretty sure Percy had managed to gain entry, yet I confirmed a few details with the stern-faced man to gain a few buffer seconds.

When I couldn't stall any longer without seeming suspicious, I allowed the captain to lead me onboard and down to the control room. Once we arrived, I stripped out of the padded clothing, handing it to a young man, and moved slightly to reacquaint myself with my unhindered body.

Shield's disguises are quite nice, but even they couldn't make padded clothing comfortable.

I leaned against the wall, waiting for the captain to finish his inspection and start on our journey. It was interesting to see the holographic displays and glowing buttons, if I didn't know they actually worked I would swear I was on the set of a B-list Sci-Fi movie. As I was observing the room a shadow passed by the monitor next to me, it was probably nothing, but it still sent a whisper fine feeling running down my spine.

To reassure myself of Percy's presence and calm myself down, I pretended to move my hair out of my face, while actually feeling the micro communicator that laid behind my ear. The tiny film was still securely attached to my skin and hadn't received any emergency signals. I released a breath I didn't know I had been holding and settled in to wait.

--------

The submarine had finally descended to a depth where long distance communication was impossible and thus we were secure enough to discuss the final details of the mission. The captain stayed in the control room and a special officer walked with me into the depths of the ship. We reached a large metal door with almost as many security procedures as Percy's home. Both the agent and I had to complete every single one before we could enter, and even then the agent had to leave before the mission details were revealed.

As the agent left the door slid shut behind me with a barely audible, click. I knew this was a level eight vehicle/ facility, with all of Shield's incredible defenses, yet at the sound I tensed up and scanned the room for the fourth time since I'd entered.

The room was the same as it had been just seconds before, when I'd performed my third check. Light grey walls, security panel beside the now closed door, plain metal chair and matching table bolted to the floor. Walking towards the table bathed in bright light, whose source I could not locate, I saw a wafer thin case lying on the table.

Contrary to it's diminutive size, the case had more security measures than the door had. The mission was actually starting to worry me now. Even compared to the few level eight missions I had completed, this mission had an incredible amount of security involved.

When the case was triplely sure I was who I said I was, the top slid back and up, turning into a touch screen with a black background and a small white play button in the middle. I tapped the button and a heavily distorted voice started speaking.

"This is a highly classified mission, if the one listening to this recording is not Agent Romanov you will be prosecuted to the highest extent of the law and beyond. If this is Agent Romanov, Canary, Dublin, Fenrir, Jigsaw, Alchemy."

Startled I unconsciously straightened my already straight spine. The seemingly random words were a code so secret that even thinking of them evoked terrible images. They were only to be used when indicating a mission whose level I never thought I'd reach, a Level Nine Mission.