|| 1 || The First Day

“Good luck at your new year at school! Remember to work hard, better than last year!” My mum chirps and leaves to work, my parents expected me to go to university and be the straight A student. I glance at the clock above the counter and sigh, twenty minutes. My legs run up the stairs and stuff a few empty books in my bag. I grab a tank top and dip-dyed shorts for school. It’s year eleven at Evergreen High, there are rumours where this year is the hardest. It is the year when being socially accepted means everything, while also keeping up your grades, unless you don’t care about them. I brush my teeth and scrub my face then apply makeup. I really hate it but my friends insist on me wearing it. I jog down to the bus stop down my street where a loud chattering blares out the windows.

A breeze flows exuberantly through the air, rustling the dying leaves on the ground with cracks. There is overcast, with the sun still kidnapped behind the clouds, with only a slight silver lining. My head would’ve ached more if it weren’t for this sublime day. My dark hair sweeps across my back when I board the bus.

The bus is filled to the max; hopefully someone would spare a seat for me. This is the Evergreen High bus, also stereotyped in the seating plan. The nerds and outcasts sit in the front, Goths, Punks in the middle and the popular people at the back. I roll my eyes in my animosity of this seating plan. My friends didn’t catch the bus so no one usually saved a seat for me. I look from left to right at the back of the bus.

“Misty!” Josh Griffin, the attractive guy from my class last year, calls. That’s the last seat; hopefully Dianna won’t mind me sitting next to her ex. He runs his fingers through his blonde hair and leaves his arm stretched out across the seat. I place myself next to him and the bus starts moving. He’s not the most average player there is, in fact, he’s different. He has the smouldering blonde hair, mysterious green eyes and muscly build but he was in a serious relationship with one of my best friends, Dianna. That is until; he supposedly cheated on her. He was nice, I guess, and I was attracted to him at one point, but that was long ago.

“What did you do these holidays?” he asks in a husky voice. The warmth from his arm radiates into my neck and shoulders. My face suffuses with pink when I look away.

“Nothing much.” I shrug and smile.

“How’s Dianna going?” Amusing that he’s asking, didn’t he cheat on her?

“Better without you.” I giggle, I’m like an auto flirt machine, and I just flirt with every good-looking guy I see. But something about him always makes you want him, even if you know he’s going to hurt you. It’s like a guilty pleasure, like eating chocolate.

He chuckles. “Did you do something with your hair?” He starts playing with my curly brunette hair.

“Nope, exactly the same as last year,” I answer and push a strand of hair out of my face and shuffle uncomfortably in my seat. His arm is now resting against my neck and shoulder. The driver pushes on the brake a bit too fast, making the whole bus jolt forward. When I hear a hiss, I run out of the bus, trying to avoid anymore flirting.

Claire runs up to me and hugs me with Dianna and Emma following after.

Dianna isn’t the usual drama queen. She isn’t a slut or anything even if she’s had a dozen boyfriends in the past year. She lies to protect either herself or her friends. Dianna may have some jealousy problems. Any girl who talks to her boyfriend, she will –more or less- ruin their self esteem. At least she’s faithful in relationships, I guess. In looks, most guys would say she’s hot. She has a small and ample figure but not what you would call too skinny. Her eyes are intimidating, as they are blue, sly and cat like. Her cheekbones are low, making her face look smooth and flawless while her dark lips define her face. Dianna has curly hair, which changes from orange to blonde, depending on the sunlight. Girls that are jealous of her think she’s the definition of perfection.