|| 6 || The Blind Date

How am I supposed to ride a motorbike in this dress? Luckily, I’m wearing shorts. Ashton looks just as shocked as me. I have my jaw open and my body is currently frozen. Chills run up my spine and my fingers start shaking uncontrollably. I can’t help but give in to my heart pounding in my chest and the urge to go to pee, which isn’t appropriate. Ashton smiles, and it reassures me because he’s trying not to look shocked. He’s perfect in every way that is controllable and I know that I am lucky enough to be able to even see him everyday.

“Maybe this isn’t such a good idea,” Emma mumbles; she seems so against this blind date even if it is her own idea. She turns to me expectantly; she wants me to defend her and start an argument. It’s the only real way to win an argument in my world.

“No! It’ll be fun!” Claire retorts and pushes me forward. I stumble over to Ashton nervously. Emma moans a bit and turns on her heel, stomping back into the house. I take a few deep breaths, hopefully stifling the beating of my heart and the redness flooding into my cheeks.

“Hey Misty,” he greets, a bit star struck. He hands me a helmet and I take my seat next to him.

“Have fun!” Dianna yells and I can inconspicuously hear her sneaky laugh.

“Just hold onto me,” Ashton mumbles and I nod. “Wait.” He offers me a light brown leather jacket.  “You might want to put that on.”

“I should,” I mumble awkwardly and slip the jacket on. I move myself into a comfortable position and wrap my arms around his waist. His abdomen tenses at my touch, to my surprise. Ashton revs the engine and we’re off to wherever we’re going.

The wind is rapid against my body as we ride through the empty roads. There is downright adrenaline coursing through my veins, thumping my heart around my rib cage. I can see where we are headed, towards the city. I rest my head on Ashton’s back, which is unexpectedly warm. His heartbeat is there; I can feel it. My eyes close although I’m still awake. The wind starts getting calmer as Ashton slows down and parks his motorbike. He hangs my helmet and jacket on his motorbike. Ashton doesn’t take off his jacket though.

“You look amazing today, I’m not lying,” Ashton compliments with a friendly smile.

“Thank my friends for that.” I giggle.

“I never noticed how beautiful your eyes are.” He sighs and gazes into my eyes dreamily, his pearlescent colour reflecting into mine.

Flattered, I begin to stutter, “W-What are you talking about? It’s your eyes that are beautiful!”

“So what do you want to do?” he asks me, glancing around the local shops. “We could see a movie, or grab a bite. Maybe we could just talk,” he suggests, still pondering.

“I don’t know,” I reply with a fake frown. “It would be nice to eat and talk.”

“Let’s just sit there for a while, then we can eat.” He points to the end of the dock.

“Okay, I’m racing you there.”

“I’ll beat you.”
I scoff. “You can try.”

I start running to the end of the dock with Ashton chasing me. My high heels are not to my advantage. He’s also more athletic than me.  I feel his hands grip my waist then his head crashing into my left shoulder. I start tripping over my own feet but I regain my balance once Ashton loses his grip. Ashton doesn’t slip. I swing around to check if he’s okay and he jogs past me, with his tongue out to tease me.

I sit down with my feet dangling off the dock, the tips of my high heels just touching the clear, blue ocean. The sunlight sparkles on the surface of the water and reflects into my eyes. I hear his deep, rapid breathing as he sits down next to me. Beads of sweat form on my head when the heat of the sun gets to me. He takes off his jacket, laying it down next to him, while shuffling closer to me. The intimacy of this moment is breathtaking.