|| 3 || Bittersweet Revenge

“Dianna…” I mumble with my arm stretched out. Maybe we should really dial down the drama. It’s all about some stupid boy anyway. I’ve lost one friend on the first day of school; this is what my stereotype is like.

“Are you okay?” Ashton asks as he places his hand on my shoulder and I flinch.

“I’m fine.” I lie and fake smile.

“You’re great at lying.” He pushes the hair out of my face and looks into my glassy blue eyes. Emma and Claire have run off to Dianna and I couldn’t bear to see the look on her face. The recess break ends and Ashton walks with me to my next class.

“Dianna really doesn’t want to talk to you anymore.” Emma sighs and stares at the ground.

“I understand,” I say and look at Josh at the end of the line. He smirks but I completely ignore him.

“Looks like the populars are fighting over a guy.” I hear someone murmur. Rumours, typical. Already so used to them about me anyway. I am wordless for the whole entire class time. I feel humiliated. People talk about me the least, and I hated it whenever someone said my name, because I know they are thinking how horrible I am.

When class ends and its lunch, I head out to the cafeteria. I start searching the room for an empty spot. People are staring at me, while the cafeteria goes silent, then a minute later they return to murmuring.

“Hey, Mist.” Josh taps me on the shoulder.

“Hey Josh.” He hands over a tray with mashed potatoes on it. “What are you doing? And thanks, for the food.”

“I’m not stalking you or anything, but I’ve noticed you always get something with potatoes for lunch,” he says and gestures me to sit down. I start picking at my food.

“Not stalking at all.” I smile. “It is my favourite food. My friends think it’s really fattening though but I don’t really mind.” I take a spoonful. “What did you want to talk to me about?” I ask after swallowing.

“Dianna. Are you still friends with her?” he asks.

“Not that I know of. Why are you asking? You’re the one that cheated on her than dumped her.”

“That’s the thing.” He leans towards me and my eyes widen but then he whispers, “I did break up with her but I never cheated on her.”

“That’s not how I heard it.” I inch my head a little bit closer to his. Our cheeks touch and my heart skips a beat.

“I broke up with her by telling her it wouldn’t work out if she didn’t trust me,” he explains. Maybe it’s because of her jealousy problems. Dianna does have a hard time trusting people. There must be a reason why she kept this a secret. It’s probably to make Josh look worse than he already does. Too bad I don’t believe either of them. I know how to play the lying game, in fact, I’m winning.

“Are you serious?” I say a bit too loudly then look around frantically. He chuckles and holds my chin.

“You’re different from all the other girls I’ve dated. You’re the first one to believe me.”

“Are you saying I’m the crazy one, ‘cause you’ve dated a lot of girls. And also, are you saying you’re lying?” I blurt out and redden.

“I mean different, in a good way. It depends on what you think. If I’m lying or not, it’s really up to you.” Okay, I really should re-evaluate my perspectives on people in this school. On the first day, I’ve already started so much drama and found out many things about one of my friends and her ex. I guess everyone leads a double life occasionally but I have the most complicated one. I smile to respond to him and return to eating.