They fell in love over the phone

this is going to be a sad fic so trigger warning!!! (I'm so sorry) 

(for extra feels listen to Trap Door, Truce, and March to the Sea by twenty one pilots) 

 third person pov

    It was simple. They fell in love over the phone. The place were Ethan worked allowed him to talk to people, people who were so much more than sad. He worked at suicide hotline, it wasn't an easy job of course.  At first he wanted to quit, but that's when he met the man over the phone. He didn't know anything about him, but over time they conversed. An hour before the man put the gun down. Another before he gave Ethan his number.  Ethan learned his favorite songs, what games he liked best and what types of food he preferred. He also learned he had no friends, his kidneys had been failing since he was born and he felt he had no purpose. The man didn't open up at first but slowly every month he came out of his shell to Ethan. They never texted. Only talked. Each time Ethan would talk to him he would put the gun away. Each time Ethan saved his life.  It took awhile but they fell in love. You could tell when they would smile at each other through the phone, when the mans tear stained cheeks would lift because of his smile. When Ethans singing could calm the mans jagged breathing. They never said I love you though. When they did It was too late. 

Ethans phone rang 

once 

twice 

three 

"Hullo?" Ethan murmured hid voice clogged from sleep 

"he-y" Ethan sat up "Whats wrong?" he could practically hear the sadness from the man rip through the phone. 

"Thought I would tell you something before I left" Ethan froze he knew what he was doing

"Don't, please" 

The man paused and ignored Ethans voice 

"Kinda like a note y'know? thats what people leave when-" his voice cracked as he stuttered 

"when they leave" 

Ethan wanted to cry "Please, Don't do this please" he begged 

The mans voice shot through the line like ice "Why not" 

His voice barely came out a whisper they kind where if you weren't paying attention you wouldn't even know they spoke let alone open their mouth. "because" he managed 

"I love you" 

Three words 

Thats all it was. Three words. 

To push the man over or to bring him back 

The line was silent 

"thats the problem" the man said. Ethan could hear the gun being loaded 

"I love you too"  

"So much" 

"then don't do it' Ethan cried 

"please..." he sobbed "don't do it" He was on the floor now his body limp 

"Im sorry" Tears were running down the mans cheeks now "Im so so sorry" 

"so sorry" he repeated 

Then Ethan heard it. The sirens. Their wails almost like they were mocking Ethan. 

"Goodbye Ethan" 

Ethan screamed when he heard the gunshot. Every bone in his body in denial. Every fiber in his being screamed. 

Every molecule cried as his heart was ripped in two. 

He screamed 

because he lost him 

He screamed because the man he loved was gone 

Tyler Scied was dead.