8. Flames

Chapter Song: Si tú me Quisieras - Lu.

SATURDAY

(Lana's point of View)

''In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Tell me what brings you to confess in the house of God, and how long ago did you confess.''

''Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It's been two weeks since my last confession.''

''Tell me your sins, Elizabeth.''

''I've... been having impure thoughts.''

''What sort of thoughts Elizabeth?''

''...Lustful, Father.''

''With another man who is not your husband?''

''That's the thing father, it's not with another man... It's with a woman.''

''Elizabeth, god created man and woman for a reason. The beautiful gift of bearing children through the act of love, and he said on the bible that men shall not lay with other men as women shall not lay with other women, or else their souls could burn with the flames of hell for all eternity. Why do you think you've been having these sinful thoughts?''

''I... Don't know. I've... never felt like this before. I've tried to not mind my thoughts but they are always present when I am with her... or my husband.''

''I see. Well, As a penitence you will have to come everyday to church, for two months. You will pray two hail Marys every night before going to bed and you will promise before God never to see the woman who is causing this thoughts on you again.''

''... But, she is my friend, I don't think I can just cut the cord with her...''

''But you must Elizabeth. If she is provoking these kind of emotions within you, its imperative you stop any sort of relationship you have with her. It is not a true friendship if she's making you have sinful thoughts and corrupting your marriage.''

I kept quiet looking down to my hands holding the rosary. Not seeing Lily again? That was going to be very hard. And I didn't want to stop seeing her at all. She was my friend and I loved spending time with her, she was sweet, and funny, and interesting to talk to and-''

''Do you understand Elizabeth?'' The priest told me, making me snap out of my thoughts. ''That is the only way you can make up for your sins. Now go home to your husband and pray. I'll see you tomorrow for morning mass. Go in peace.''

I said my prayers before leaving with a huge fear in my chest. Cutting out Lily completely from my life. I don't know why, but that idea scared the hell out of me.

SUNDAY 

The next day, I woke up for the usual Sunday mass. After it was over, I exited the temple as fast as I could, trying hard not to even turn left to see Lily where she would usually be.

But, I couldn't help myself and turned left to look at her discreetly. I noticed she was looking back at me with an expectant look as other people approached her and looked at her paintings. I turned my head again and kept on walking my my way.