16. Combustion

SUNDAY

(Lana's Point of View)

I woke up in a beautiful amnesia for five seconds, until the events of last night entered my head and made my day the darkest one yet.

The pills the paramedics gave me last night still had me feeling hazy. I got up from my bed with a pounding headache and dry tears on my face. I went to my mirror. The mascara still stained my face, my eyes were red. Then someone ringed the bell of my house. It's probably the police. I thought. 

I got dressed and put a black veil on top of my head. This is something we do in Spain when we are mourning someone. I went to get the door and a big robust man wearing a hat and trench coat introduced himself.

''Hello Miss Elizabeth. I'm detective Molina, I was assigned to investigate the case of your husband.'' He said while taking his hat off. ''I am so sorry for your loss. Can I come in?''

I nodded, still shocked about all the situation, I was not able to speak. I let him in and we sat on the living room couch.

''Detective, did you capture the Quirante brothers?'' I asked him right away.

''Miss, the Quirante brothers are on vacation in Mallorca. According to the people working in their house, they left two days ago. We called their hotel this morning to make sure they were there. They registered in the hotel exactly two days ago.''

My heart shrunk in my chest. This wasn't possible.

''No. Hold on, Are you implying I am lying detective? I saw them with my own eyes! They shot my husband in the head, Alvaro shot him to be precise, then they left in a flash. In a black car that was waiting for them just outside my house with a driver.'' I told him with desperation.

''Miss Alarconte, there is absolutely no proof that what you're saying is true. I am not calling you a liar, but the judge is going to want solid proof or witnesses, and you got neither of them.''

I couldn't believe this was happening. I looked at him with pleading eyes before begging him. ''Please, you got to believe me..." I said before the tears escaped my eyes uncontrollably.

''Miss Alarconte, please calm down. I will do what I can to try and gather evidence for your case, but the most probable thing is that you have to go to court and testify against Luis and Alvaro Quirante, and without any allegations... well, there could be some evidence that implies you were the one who killed your husband...''

I covered my mouth with my hand. I knew what 'evidence' he was talking about... The rumor that I was cheating on my husband. A rumor that had actually been true. My tears wouldn't stop falling. I was completely terrified.

''Look, Elizabeth. Can I call you Elizabeth?'' He asked but I didn't respond because I was completely out of it.

''It's your word against them, and if we are able to find proof they were not in Mallorca last night, well then you have nothing to worry about. I am just trying to make sure there is nothing against your own word that could harm you on court.'' He said while giving me his handkerchief to dry my tears. ''I will gather more evidence, and the police needs to do a search on your house, Just to make sure you don't own the gun that killed Salvador.''