Chapter 5

Faith and Isabeth stood in the lengthy line at McRae's Smokehouse

Faith and Isabeth stood in the lengthy line at McRae's Smokehouse. They knew the line was going to be out the door. It always was at noon and today wasn't any different. It was the first Friday of summer break, which meant it was the first time for vacationers to eat the comfort food they'd missed while being cooped up in Presidential offices, boarding schools, or Ivy League universities.

"What happen to your lip?" Isabeth asked Faith looking at the red ruby-colored cut running vertically along Faith's bottom lip.

Faith winched as she lightly touched the bruise, "I um slipped. Baby oil on your feet; bad idea."

"Um-hum." Isa studied Faith looking ahead carelessly while toying with the spaghetti strap of her orange maxi dress, "What happened at Columbia?"

"Why?" Faith stopped reading the copious stream of texts that bombarded her phone last night. "Is someone spreading shit?"

A gray-haired man in front of them turned around giving them a disapproving eye. Faith and Isabeth didn't know who he was, probably one of the many visitors that only had enough funds to vacation in their paradise and not call it home. Faith scowled at him back and he turned around.

"No," Isabeth affirmed. "You just loved that school...dragged us there every time we went to NYC."

"Nothing" Faith said. " I'm just over college."

Isabeth eyed her strangely, "Over college?"

"Yes, Isa. College isn't for everyone. Anyways topic change." Faith singsong as she happily moved up, the only thing standing between them and the counter was the old man, "I need a summer fling."

"What happened to Paolo?" Isabeth questioned reading the menu even though she knew it like the back of her hand.

"Paolo is no longer with us." Faith demurely grinned. "I cut the bastard loose."

The old man made his order and shot them another dirty look as he stepped out of line.

"Welcome to McRae's." A dirty blonde with a gold nose ring beamed. "What can I get you?" She fidgeted with the collar of her teal McRae uniform polo shirt. "You're Isabeth Ovien! And Faith Payson aren't you!" She smiled brightly calling over a girl in a matching baseball cap from the back.

"Hell no!" Faith shouted her eyes fiery with annoyance. "Go Back!" The baseball cap-wearing girl abruptly stopped in her tracks spilling orange cream soda on her khaki shorts. "We came here for ribs and that's it." Faith jutted her hip out leaning against the counter.

The dirty blonde's smile and excitement vanished, "Hickory Cayenne, Honey Mesquite, or Korean Sriracha?" The dirty blonde spit out the menu she committed to memory as she stared at Faith.

Faith shrugged, "Don't fucking ask me. I'm a vegetarian" She averted her attention to the teenage boy serving ice water to the sweating people in line outside, where they were fifteen minutes ago.