Somethings Never Change

The drive from Boston back to Evening was a stone's throw; Malachi and Alex made it back into town just as the sun started to dim its shine. They found Blair at Remington Country Club after Malachi texted him Where you at?

Blair Cunningham, the son of Thomas and Claire Cunningham. With cocoa eyes to match his buttermilk soft skin all of six feet, three inches that every single girl in a three-block radius tried to climb stood a couple of feet in front of them. Blair floated on a cloud of superiority only rival by The Trifecta's circle receiving everything he wanted on a gold-plated platter.

"When do you golf?" Malachi asked climbing up the manicured green lawn

Blair playfully swung the nine-iron, "I always loved it."

"Stop lying!" Dalton spoke after he swung and missed. "Tinsley told him she likes golfers so he begged me to teach him."

"You.... teach him." Alex laughed.

"Shut the fuck up." Blair swung the club toward Dalton and he ducked. "Must you tell everything?"

Dalton stood back up. "I'm a steel trap." He combed his hair out of his face. "How did things go at the wine shop?"

Malachi looked at Alex. "Steel Trap, he said."

"What?" Dalton looked perplexed. "I tell Blair everything."

"Unfortunately." Blair chirped with a shake of his head.

"Naw, that's cool." Malachi shifted his attention back to Blair. "Because we came to see you."

"Me!" Blair pointed to himself. "Why?"

"Because Tari Jenkins told Agent Anderson that you drove Fiona to the beach house." Malachi learned of this when he was busy in getting lunch for the Junior Partners. Tari, his one-time girlfriend pulled him aside to divulged what she learned from ear-hustling at her internship at the police station.

"Well..." Blair propped his nine-iron on his shoulder. "I did talk to the Feds but. I can guarantee you....I didn't snitch on anybody." He shrugged. "I didn't know anything to snitch about...only that I did see Fiona the night she died and she was a little off. "

"What do you mean..." Malachi inquired getting interested. "By off."

"That night...I was driving up to the Barnett place; Declan wanted to show me his new Lambo. He promised I could drive it and since my dad won't get me anything other that a Ford...I had to dip out the party... and that's when I saw her walking up the street."

"Walking?" Alex's face twisted in confusion. He didn't know Fiona that well but from what he heard from Isabeth and Faith, the girl was much of a hiker and the distance between town and the Chamber's beach house was definitely a hike.

Blair stomped his feet, "Walking. Trekking up the road with a bottle of wine and a purse."

"You lying." Dalton waved him off laughing.

"I swear before God." Blair crossed his heart. "She was walking with her eyes locked straight ahead. I did ten just following her. So, after a few minutes, I had to roll down my window." He toyed with the ten-carat diamond stud in his ear. "I said 'girl, what the hell you doing out here, walking in the dark'. She said some shit about having to see ya'll." He waved to a guy in the distance throwing him the deuces. "Then when she got in the car she rambled some shit in French. You know I don't know that it. I didn't go to boarding school in France. I stayed right here in the USA."

"Yeah, Blair we know," Alex confirmed. "You bleed stars and stripes."

"Hell yeah!" Blair exclaimed with a two-fingered salute.

"But I know French," Malachi informed. "So...what did she say?"

"Uh?" Blair scratched his chin looking up at the clear blue, cloudless sky. "I think it went Jay sue Persephone. My dusty."

Malachi narrowed his eyes trying to decipher what Blair uttered. "Je suis Perséphone. C'est mon destin."

Blair snapped. "Yeah! That's it. What does it mean, though."

"I am Persephone." Dalton stated. "This is my fate."

"Persephone." Blair traced his finger along his eyebrow. "As in the daughter of Zeus and Demeter. Queen of the Underworld; Hades' wife, Persephone."

Malachi slapped Blair's shoulder, "So, you were awake in our Greek Mythology class."

"I wasn't sleep." Blair corrected letting the golf club fall off his shoulder and hit the ground. "I was faking. So, fine Ms. Gregg could come down my row in that tight pencil skirt and tap on my shoulder."

"You're a fool." Malachi looked at his chiming phone, reading the text that glowed across his phone. "Faith's been in a wreck." The cell shook in his hand.

Thanks for reading! Remember to comment and vote.