Chapter 12

Isabeth swayed in the rocking chair with Teddy fast asleep in her arms in the baby blue nursery

Isabeth swayed in the rocking chair with Teddy fast asleep in her arms in the baby blue nursery. Although it was a nursery now, two weeks ago it was just an empty unused room but once Isabeth's parents informed her Aunt Jade they were going to their orphanage in Somalia, Isabeth decorated the room with stuffed bears and lions in haste.

Teddy still had his tiny hand wrapped around Isabeth's side ponytail as his little almond eyes stayed hidden behind heavy eyelids. It had just been a year since he'd been in this world but Isabeth couldn't remember how she felt before he came into her life. He was the only male she loved more than Alex.

"Do you want me to lay him down, Ms. Ovien?" Kendra softly asked kneeling at Isabeth's side. "You're a wonderful big sister but your parents told me to keep him on schedule while they're gone." Kendra wiped her hands down her black apron.

"Just five more minutes." Isabeth bargained rubbing her finger along his pudgy cheeks.

Kendra shook her head not having room to protest after all Isabeth was holding her brother. It was more than what her last employer did for her own children.

A stunning barefooted woman in a pewter shift dress, with a French braid, and rubies in each ear strolled into the nursery. "Kendra, can you go help Logan find a book for bedtime."

Kendra hopped to, "Yes, Mrs. Ovien." She nodded as she passed by the stately woman quickly exiting.

"Aunt Jade, I know. Keep him on schedule." Isabeth slowly stood cradling Teddy in her sheltering arms.

"It's nice that you come see him when you can." Aunt Jade turned the flawless, shimmering emerald-cut diamond bracelet around her meager cocoa wrist. "But when is Alex going to make an appearance." Aunt Jade changed the station of the programmed in-wall stereo from R&B to classical. As the light piano notes caressed the room Aunt Jade shook her head in approval.

Isabeth brushed Teddy's wave-laden mane back, "He is but he thinks you don't like him." She lightly kissed Teddy's forehead.

Aunt Jade spun around, her dress sweeping the floor. "Do I have to like him for him to see Teddy?"

Isabeth turned to Aunt Jade, her mom's younger sister that fell in love with her father's older brother while at her parents' wedding reception. Aunt Jade looked at Isabeth sternly letting her hands dangle at her side.

"He's going to come by Aunt Jade." Isabeth reported pulling the green fleece blanket off the rocking chair, leaving it swaying on its own.

Aunt Jade covered her lips with her pointing fingers she tried to hold it back but she couldn't, "He's just.... He's not the type of guy I see you with, sweetheart." Isabeth sighed low enough so her Aunt wouldn't hear her. She was tired of hearing this. Ever since she introduced Alex to her family at last year's Masquerade Ball they have been talking him down to her; he's not ethical, he's not disciplined, he's too standoffish, he's too sarcastic. "Troy, he's a winner."

Aunt Jade waved her manicured finger in excitement. We had a thing but he's in Asia, Isabeth thought. "Malachi, awesome choice." Isabeth's mouth twisted, Malachi might have been my first kiss in sixth but now he's like my brother and he's Alex's brother. "Sven Andreassen would be a marvelous husband for any girl." Yeah, for some girl that's missing a brain and does whatever he says.

"And Hugh Moreau." He's a looker, one problem, though; he's nauseatingly in love with Harper. "The list of proper suitors for you is numerous. You're enchanting." True, Isabeth agreed with that. "Intelligent." I'm taking Introductions to the Problems in Philosophy next semester. "And you're moralistic." Isabeth's inner thought crashed to a halt, was she really. "You have limitless options."

"I love Alex, Aunt Jade." Isabeth draped the blanket over the rail of Teddy's maple crib.

"Love never secured the future of anyone." Aunt Jade turned on the glow in the dark star mobile over Teddy's crib. "Or reputation."

"You love Uncle Baldwin." Isabeth flicked the nursery room light off. The room went dark as stars rotated around the room. "Why can't I be with the man I love?"

"I was truly blessed with your Uncle." Aunt Jade held the face of her sister's daughter. The young lady she loved like her own.

"I love Alex." Isabeth pleaded with doe-eyes that begged for her Aunt to accept him.

"Even if the world thinks he's a psychopath?" Aunt Jade glared into her niece's needy eyes. "Even if he killed Fiona?"

 "Even if he killed Fiona?"

"He's not psycho." Isabeth pulled away. It was already starting, people assuming again. Her own Aunt was doing it with no regard for her feelings. "And he didn't kill Fiona."

Kendra stood in the doorway, " Mrs. Ovien, Logan's tucked in and waiting for you."

"Well, someone in that house did." Aunt Jade lightly hugged Isabeth.

Do you think what Aunt Jade said is going to get to Isabeth?