Chapter 6

Alex stood in the white and silver kitchen like a pillar, as Isabeth buzzed back and forth like a caffeine-riddled Jack Russell Terrier

Alex stood in the white and silver kitchen like a pillar, as Isabeth buzzed back and forth like a caffeine-riddled Jack Russell Terrier. He scraped his red and black vans along the glossy red oak floor that ran throughout Isabeth's country house. She brought the estate for the stables but loved it for the sixty-feet white ash forest that was her backyard. Alex thought it was too far from town. He rather she resided in the brownstone she had in town.

This wasn't how they planned their Friday night after they beat Faith and Lucia bowling three strike-less games at Indigo Lanes, Tuesday. He demurely stared at the forty-six inch Smart-TV mounted above the sandy gray stone fireplace. Langston Ballpark brimmed at capacity; the whole town was probably there. He bet if he looked hard enough he could see Tinsley and Blair in the stands.

That was where they were supposed to be. The Colón Coyotes and Hollis Kodiaks were about to square off in the opening game. It was a summer tradition. Every prominent family whose gross yearly income (GYI) tipped over a billion dollars had their own sports team, either in baseball or basketball. College athletes from every state applied to participate in the Evening Tournament, which was an elite summer camp with national league coaches and all-star mentors. The Lemen Populist was playing tomorrow and the Ovien Warriors would hit the field Sunday. He had their weekend mapped out.

"I thought Harper had caterers." He sulked while watching her chop, batter, and fry.

Isabeth splayed habanero sauced winglets on a cookie sheet, " She does. Just not for this week." Isabeth slid the pan into the blazing oven and whisked around dropping the bowl in the farmhouse sink. "I knew something like this was going to happen..." She swiveled around again. "That's why I bought the ribs. Harper doesn't have a planning bone in her body."

Alex rushed in front of the refrigerator before she could grab the handle, "Let's flake."

"We can't." She stone-faced uttered. "She's my best friend and...we can't." She reached around him.

He nudged her hand out the way with his elbow. "I know. You don't want her to feel bad. But I'm sure most people canceled after she made the calls."

"I'm not most people." She tucked her hair behind her ear showing the cultured pearl. "We're not most people. Her true friends will be there."

"Her true friends." He pulled her into him, wrapped his arms around her waist. "I don't know the girl."

Isabeth hooked her arms around his neck, "You know me."

"Yes." He wickedly smiled. "I know every tick of your beautiful mind like I know every curve of your beautiful body."

She hopped on her toes and kissed his lips. "And that's why you're going." She pulled away but he held her firmly.

"You know...I could forget about missing the game and be a very good boy at this..." He squinted trying to think of a nicer word. "Sub-par Luau."

"Oh!" She leaned her head back getting a better look at his cognac eyes. "Is there?"