Chapter 17: The Preparation

The defenders and I were gathered in Astravia on the morning my life would change forever. We stood in a group as Skyal spoke to us.
"As you all know, the situation is dire. Selconus is now in possession of Verum Finen and is making his way towards the well as we speak." Skyal had already explained what was going on ahead of time for me. Verum Finen was a sword, and from what I gathered, it was very powerful. The Unity, led by Selconus, intended to revive their old leader, Aidan. The name was familiar to me, and I had shuddered at the thought. Skyal, tactful as ever, did nothing to reassure me, instead saying I was correct to react in such a way. Now, he continued. "To allow him, or anyone else, to complete their task would mean certain death for each and every one of us. So get ready. This one's for real."
With that, the group split up, most of us sombre, but seemingly unfazed. I was not one of those people.

While the defenders prepared for battle, I nervously stalked around the room, pulling my gloves up again and again, and, checking my blades were razor-sharp for the umpteenth time, although I knew they would magically stay that way. I looked at Skyal, who had been watching me curiously for a while, and was now beckoning me over. I walked over to him.

"Can't you just tell them to hurry up? The suspense is killing me, Sky."
"Have patience, Steph," he said calmly. "We can't rush this, they have Verum Finen. If we aren't careful, everyone, including you, will be obliterated."
I looked him in the eye, sighing. "I know that, you told us. You're so reassuring, Skyal."
"I'm not here to reassure you. I am here to give you advice. Besides, it wouldn't be fair if I gave you false hope."
I rolled my eyes. "Fine."
I was about to walk off again when Sky stopped me. "I do have something else I can- and indeed should give you, however." He handed me an earpiece. "Wouldn't make much sense if we sent you out there without any means of contacting you, would it?"
I shook my head. "No, I suppose it wouldn't."
"And uh," Sky added, "I will call for back-up if it's necessary. Do yourself a favor and stop worrying so much, will you?"

I turned around and sat on a convenient chair, deciding to try and calm the nerves by giving myself a pep talk. "You're not gonna die," I told myself. "You're not gonna die. You're not- okay no you're really gonna die. But at least you lived a happy life. A nice family and great friends- wait fuck they don't know where I am yet they're just gonna think I got murdered or something and never get closure- wait, that's what would've happened... Oh, just never mind."

After this failed attempt at trying to feel better, I decided to look around, and watch the others preparing for battle.
Raleigh was a few meters away, and while he noticed me staring, he gave me no more than a quick glance.

On the other side of the room, Dino and Racer were arguing about something. I wasn't gonna listen in, but I had the feeling they were talking about me.
"We have no idea what effect it has on her, IF it even works!" Racer said.
"Worked for you, didn't it?" Dino answered.
"Yes, but I WAS actually human." Their tones were hushed, but I could still make out what they were saying. My hearing had always been above average. "She is... Not. We don't even know if it even works the same way." At this, I frowned. I was seriously confused as to what they were talking about that would work on a human but not on an Aelen. I was also wondering why he was being so... secretive about it. Everyone here knew I wasn't human as I originally thought.
My train of thought was broken when Dino spoke again.
"We have no choice. If we fail because of her, there's not much to worry about to begin with."
"Still," argued Racer, "this is a very, very bad idea. What if the systems conflict?" Systems? I wondered, what does he mean by that? "There's a real risk of psychological fragmentation. Worst case scenario, it could tear her apart from the inside."
"Isn't that literally what it does?"
Racer paused for a moment.
"...Fine," he said eventually. "But don't say I didn't warn you." He handed Dino something, but I couldn't see what it was from my angle.
"Where did you find this again?" asked Dino.
"Ionvia. No questions," Racer warned.
"What were you-"
"No. Questions."
To that, Dino sighed, before turning to walk in my direction, which confirmed my suspicions but forced me to quickly look back at Raleigh in an attempt to hide that I'd been eavesdropping.

"Listen up, kid," he said, trying to get my attention, and I looked up, pretending I hadn't seen him coming. "Before we go, take this." He handed me a metal sphere with glowing lines on it.
"What's this?" I asked.
"A last resort. It's a container, holding something that can save you in a life or death situation. Be careful though. Only use it if there are no alternatives other than dying. Or worse."
I nodded. "O-okay. What's in it?"
"You'll see," Dino answered, not helping. "Also, it's a one time only thing, and it'll have a lifelong impact. If you need it, just open it up by pushing the button on the top." With that, he turned away, walking back to his table to arm himself.

Because I was stuck waiting again, I decided to give the peptalk thing another go.
"You're not gonna die," I tried again. "If you do, you'll be surrounded by your new... alien... friends... far away from home... fuck I'm getting homesick again." Luckily for me, the defenders seemed to be ready to go.

Once everyone was finished, Skyal stood up. "Prepare for transition," he said, pressing a few buttons on his console.
"Lock and load, people," said Raleigh, before going into hypercore. Illuminair, his name in hypercore, had glowing eyes and long hair, all a bright blue.
"I always am," Dino said, prior to turning into Tenebris.
"Let's roll," said Racer, turning into Racion, who had strikingly orange eyes, glowing like the others' and yellow hair.
Fidellis rolled her eyes and nudged her sister. Then the two of them went into hypercore as well, becoming Interfectis White and Black respectively. Their hair colours matched their names, and were distinctive against their gold eyes.
In the meantime, I tried one last time to speak words of motivation to myself.
"One last time," I mumbled to myself. "You're not gonna die. You have that... whatever-it-was Dino gave you to save you." I paused, thinking if there was anything else for me to say. Then I shrugged. "Nailed it."

"Defenders-" Illuminair hesitated. "Uh, and honored guest? Anyway, uh... Ah well, let's just fly, people." With that he activated his thrusters and flew through the now open spacebridge.
Next up was Racion. His armor's energy flows glowed yellow and something that sounded strangely like an engine revving was audible before he shot through the bridge.
"Showoffs," muttered Tenebris as he ran through the bridge.
Next followed the Interfectis twins, leaving me behind.
And finally, after taking a deep breath, I too followed them into the portal.

Finished: October 10th 2017

So, this is gonna be the last chapter I publish today because my mom decided chores were a great birthday gift. But the next one is coming soon! (Or maybe not. Maybe I'll just let you suffer for all eternity after this cliffhanger.)
Anyway,

Xx Rissa