lunch

Everybody bustles around caught up in their own little non werewolf worlds. Sometimes I envy them nothing more worrying in their life’s than passing their next test, then I’m reminded how cool and adrenaline rushing it is. I glance back at Percy who seems really tense. He reminds me of Scott and myself just before we expect someone or thing to attack us. We reach our table I know we went from nobody’s to having a table of our own. Percy statically put himself in the place where he could view the whole cafeteria or my overacting brain was just coming up with stuff because I’m so paranoid.

The rest of the group turn up with their cafeteria and join us. Percy shifts uneasily at the sight of everyone else I feel a twinge of sympathy towards him.  Everyone in the group is tall and the stereo typical jocks look. I can’t blame him for his reaction. The twins give him a once over and dismiss him while Danny, Lidia and Alison let their eyes travel slowly and then linger for a moment.

“Percy this Alison, Lidia, Danny, Ethan, Aden and Isaac.” Everyone smiles politely not really sure how to react to the new comer. Isaac never bothered by the awkward silence or maybe he just doesn’t sense the awkwardness or maybe it’s just me.

“So Percy where do you originate from?” Isaac breaks the maybe awkward silence or maybe not awkward.  “Ahh New York but my mom’s new husband just got a job here and its one of the only schools that would accept me this semester.” He shrugs as if not being able to be accepted into a school is no biggie.

“Do you play any sports?” Scott asks probably jealous of the appreciating attention of the girls.       “Nah generally I’m the guy everyone picks on so whenever I play sports I have this target in my head that says Nock me over I’m to small and wimpy” I don’t know where he got small and wimpy from but he certainly didn’t look small and wimpy to me in fact he looked rather fit like Derek not that I noticed. “Even in noncontact sports like basketball how does that even happen?” There’s a short pause when no one knows whether to laugh or not. “I’ve been told many times before but generally I make enough of a fool of myself that people laugh any way. He sighs dramatically and looks around. “I’m in one of these moment am’nt I that everyone starts laughing at me because I’ve tried to get you to laugh at my joke but you’re going to laugh at my attempt to explain ti or whatever I was talking about just now.” We all nod and laugh and Percy just shrugs his shoulders and steals a chip from Isaac. I can’t help but notice the raised scars on his hands that continue up past his sleeve.

“So what sports do you guys play?” he asks finishing the chip and removing a blue muffin from his homemade lunch.Did anyone else notice the fact that it was bright blue?or was that just me. “How did you know we played a sport?” Ethan or maybe it was Aden asks. “Look I don’t mean to offend you but you all kind of look the part?” I glance around and I guess we kind of do. “We play lacrosse.” I’m about to explain where it came from but Percy interrupts me “Isn’t that the one that the native Americans used to play to settle disputes?” I look at him slightly shocked he looks at me “I may look stupid and sound stupid but I’m not that stupid and besides one of my friends parents are from a Cherokee tribe.

He shrugs again and taps his head. “I’ve got to admit Jocks generally don’t take a liking to me.”  He looks at us again and I feel like he’s reading my mind or something. “Truth be told most of us were in the lower archy of the school. Stiles and I were nobodies as well as Isaac.” Isaac fakes a hurt look. “Alison moved into town Lydia’s old boyfriend moved out of town then the twins moved into town and now I guess...”Scott trails off we can all see where the speech was going. What about you Danny? Percy asks not missing a thing.“Well I was just a good lacrosse player all along and I’m friends with Lydia and he glances to Ethan. “ Percy nods and shrugs. The bell rings and everyone starts to stand up. “What do you have now?” Scott asks looking at Percy. Percy looks at his timetable and hesitates for a moment then he looks up P.E. Great we have that to! Isaac says and leads Percy to the boys Locker room. All I can think of is the boys impressing Percy with their amazing talent of physic even though its actually cheating I shake my head and follow my retreating friends through the hall.