The first hardship (Kili)

We had to travel through Laketown which held nothing but terrible memories, Thorin leaving me, the pain of the poison arrow, even I didn't think I was going to make it.

"Laketown eh?" Bofur mumbles "You were sicker than a dog, we were worried we'd lose you." I shake my head, unable to endure the pain of the thought. And Fili, when Fili grabbed my arm and Tauriel leaned over me I felt as though I would survive after all.

"This place is haunted with the shadows of darkness." Legolas calls from where he is steering the vessel "We take nothing and leave nothing, we will only pass through."

"Yes, that would be wise." A familiar voice tones.

"Gandalf! I say...you look a bit frazzled" I smile, then catch his watery blue eyes "Is something troubling you?" He straightens his large grey hat and taps his staff on the ground.

"I would not deem it wise that you continue on your journey, Thranduil does not know the terrible things his quest will set in motion" He pauses, staring at me in only the way Gandalf can "And by Thorin's quest we have already awoken many terrible forces, forces Middle-Earth may not survive." I shake my head, this cannot be true.

"Gandalf, this can't be true you know I will fight with anything I've got to win Tauriel." Gandalf sighs, he's never been violent.

"Very well. But I warn you, Danger lies in these waters."