Garfield

Patty roared loudly with laugher. Holtzmann joining in. They were all half drunk, sprawled on the couches, making jokes and talking about their lives before the Ghostbusters.

All the ladies had come from different family backgrounds, Abby and Erin had grown up together, their bond unbreakable, even after their long separation and arguments. Patty's strong personality and dedication to her friends made her the go- getter and her knowledge of the history of New York and its surrounds was un-matched. Holtzmann was the bright eyed, clever engineer, already free from beneath the wings of Abby, and constantly flying her own course.

'We are crazzzzyyyy,' Patty called out, slapping her thighs, reaching for her fourth sugar rimmed margarita. Abby nodded, sipping her own drink, snorting some out with her laughter. The two women were chatting and laughing loudly, their excitement showing in their faces. Holtzmann looked over from her amused friends to the quiet woman sitting next to her,' Hey Gilbert, you alright?' Erin nodded into her glass, her head was pounding but she forced out a laugh. Holtzmann reached over and squeezed the physicist's thigh with her hand, nodding in response. Erin's brow creased, staring at the engineer's hand that was on her leg, she whispered to Holtzmann,'My head is killing me.'
Holtzmann nodded again, Erin waiting for a smart response, but there was nothing. Holtzmann silently reached over to Erin's glass taking it from her and placing it on the table. The blonde stood up, taking both Erin's hands in her own, pulling her up from the couch.
'Drinking isn't going to help that headache.'
Erin nodded, touching her temples,'Bed I think.'
Patty and Abby muffled their laughter, both looking up, stopping their conversation short,'Bed for you two?' Abby asked, sipping more of her drink, tipsy giggles escaping from her mouth, Patty giggling too, as she winked at Abby and they doubled over laughing again.
Erin nodded, wincing in pain, 'For me anyways.'
Patty waved to the women, and continued her chatter with Abby, the two laughing and returning to their drinks.
'C'mon Erin,' Holtzmann said, waving to the two on the couch,'night guys.'

'Holtz, you don't need to put me to bed.'
'I'm not Errrrriinnn. I'm going to bed too.'
'Okay.'
'Okay.'
The two climbed the stairs to the second level, Erin leaning on the banister, her head throbbing. Holtzmann noticed and grabbed her arm to steady her,'Erin..it's pretty bad huh?'
Erin nodded and allowed Holtzmann to help her the rest of the way. When they reached the top Erin began to turn towards the room where her spare bed were located in; 'Oh no Erin,' Holtzmann said, tugging on Erin's arm in the direction of the lab.
'What Holtz?'
'You can sleep in my bed tonight, I'll take the spare one.'
'No, no no, no it's fine.' The straight laced woman replied firmly, but then smiling appreciatively at the blonde, 'Thank you for the offer though Holtz.'
'Erin, you need a good night's sleep, you're not going to get it on the spare bed. I on the other hand can sleep anywhere' she grinned,' Please. Erin'
Holtzmann wiggled her eyebrows at Erin, smirking.
Erin nodded, touching her head again. The blonde led her friend into their workspace, still holding her arm in support, the physicist enjoying the engineer's warmth on her skin. They reached the corner of the room where Holtzmann had a bedroom area set up, Erin sat on the bed.
'Thanks Holtz.'
'Get yourself into bed, I'll be back in a sec.' The short blonde walked over to the bathroom, opening the medicine cabinate and taking out some headache pills, she also grabbed one of the glasses Erin used for rinsing her mouth and filled it with water. She walked back into the office, Erin half undressed, and she quickly pulled her shirt back over her head, covering up her bra clasped chest. Holtzmann chuckled, putting the pills and glass on the bedside table and looking at a red-faced Erin. 'I've seen it all before you know,' the younger woman said, smiling at Erin. The woman nodded, removing her shirt again and turning away as she removed her bra, quickly pulling the tee back on and turning back to the blonde.     'You need anything Erin?' The slim woman shook her head slowly, wanting to ask to have her head rubbed but instead she just shook her head again, 'No I think I'll be okay.' The engineer nodded, her curls bouncing on her head, she began softly humming a tune, 'Errriinnn, get some sleep,' she sang, tapping the glass of water and pills she had put on the bedside table, and she slowly walked away, walking backwards to the door, her voice rising, 'Erinnnnn go rest yo feet!' The redhead laughed, smiling, 'Thanks Jill.' Holtzmann nodded, and gave a little salute,'You're welcome Garfield.'

Holtzmann closed the door behind her, walking over to Erin's spare room that was diagonally opposite their office, and she lay on the bed, annoyed with herself for not grabbing some clothes to sleep in as she left. She shrugged and went over to the small closet Erin had in there, and the blonde scanned the neatly hanging clothes quickly, settling on a pair of grey cotton shorts and one of Erin's Columbia tees, they fit her nicely and she didn't mind the smell of Erin that came with them. She flicked off the light, hoping Erin would be feeling better by morning and she lay down on the bed. She could hear the echoing of Patty and Abby's laughter and she smiled to herself, loving that she now felt she had a place in the world thanks to her friends. There was just that one piece that was missing and one she'd tried to fill many times with many women, but she'd stopped that search now, because she was sure it was Erin that was her puzzle piece. And although Holtzmann knew Erin would never feel that way about her, she felt comfort in the fact that for now Erin was hers, until maybe Erin met someone, and that was something Holtzmann had prepared herself for, but wan't willing to deal with until she was faced with it.